Even if you aren’t a fan of animals (what kind of a monster are you?), there is no denying their usefulness in Baldur’s Gate 3. Animals in the wilderness or even within towns and settlements can share many useful secrets or loot items with you if you can extract that information. That extraction comes in the form of conversation, and for that, your character needs to be able to talk to the animals in Baldur’s Gate 3.
But I’m not a Druid. You may wonder how I can talk to or understand animals’ language. Thankfully, there is a handy spell called Speak with Animals in Baldur’s Gate 3, and we are here to tell you all about it.
Different Methods to Talk to Animals in Baldur’s Gate 3
As mentioned before, Speak with Animals spell lets you talk to any animal you encounter in the world if they aren’t already hostile toward you. This typically applies to docile animals like the dog Scratch, squirrels, cats, rats, and the Strange Ox in BG3.
Unlike the amulet that grants you the ability to Speak with the Dead, no amulet, necklace, or scroll exists that allows you to speak with the animals.
There are various other ways to talk to the animals besides the spell. If your character or any companion doesn’t have access to Speak with the Animals spell, you can rely on other methods to use the ability. Below, we have summarized all the possible ways of communicating with animals in Baldur’s Gate 3.
1. Use the Speak with the Animals spell
Speak with the Animals is a level 1 Divination spell that you can learn. However, only certain classes and sub-classes with a strong connection to nature can learn and use this spell. These classes are:
- Druid (at level 1 with a spell)
- Nature Domain Cleric (at level 1 with a spell)
- Bard (at level 1 with a spell)
- Ranger (at level 2 with a spell)
- Warlock (Beast Speech eldritch invocation at level 2)
- Wildheart Barbarian (as a sub-class action at level 3)
- Oath of Ancients Paladin (at level 3 with a spell)
Since this is a low-level spell, you can select it during character creation instead of learning it later. However, if you don’t want to unlock it early, you can always learn the spell through scrolls later or at the level-up screen.
2. Use Potion of Animal Speaking
Playing a class like the Monk or Rogue? Well, worry not, as you can still speak with the animals in Baldur’s Gate 3. All you need to do is find, purchase, or craft the potion of animal speaking. Just like the spell, the effect of the potion lasts till the next Long Rest.
You can buy the potion from merchants like Aaron in Emerald Grove or Derryth in the Myconid Colony during Act 1. It is also an uncommon item available as loot from chests and barrels.
However, if you wish to craft it yourself, head to Rosymorn Monastery, and you can find the recipe on the upper floor. To craft the Potion of Animal speaking, go to the Alchemy menu in your inventory and combine the following items.
- Essence of Acorn Truffle (1x)
- Essence of any Salt (1x)
3. Transform into an animal
Animals can talk to other animals, so it makes sense that after transforming into an animal as a Druid using the Wild Shape class action. This will allow you to talk to the animals and understand them.
4. Choose the Forest Gnome race
Every race in Baldur’s Gate 3 has its own unique benefits. Drow can see farther in the dark, Tiefling has resistance to fire damage, and so on. The Forest Gnome sub-race from the Gnome race already knows the Speak with the Animals spell by default, regardless of the class chosen.
5. Using a Feat
Once you reach level 4 (or 8 and 12), you will get an option to choose a feat. Regardless of the class, you can choose Ritual Caster, which allows you to learn two ritual spells of your choice. At this point, you can select Speak with the Animals spell as one of them.
6. With a Mod
There is a mod on NexusMods called Permanent Speak with Animals. This mod turns your ability to speak with the animals into a permanent buff, meaning you can speak to any animal whenever you want. No more losing the ability on long rest or needing to cast the spell by losing a spell slot.
Some notable interactions with the Animals in Baldur’s Gate 3
Speak with Animals spell come in handy during a lot of situations, which range from learning a secret to solving a quest. Some major interactions with animals where you will need this spell are.
- Talk to the dog Scratch and send him to your camp during Act 1.
- Speak with the Owlbear cub in the Owlbear cave and then talk to it again in the Goblin Camp.
- During the Rescue Halsin quest, you can talk to his bear form to learn more about the situation.
- Speak with the Pigeon Commander and Treyssm, the cat, during the Find the Missing Letters quest to find the culprit.
- You can use this spell to talk to the spiders in the Goblin Camp.
- Bored Cow in Druid Grove. It will lead you to a hidden treasure.
- Talk to the Addled Frog near Auntie Ethel’s teahouse to find another treasure.
- You can convince Tuffet the bear to allow you to access the elevator in Druid Grove.
- On your way to Druid Grove, you will find a territorial Squirrel near the entrance. You can convince it to show you the treasure.
- You can talk to His Majesty inside the Last Light Inn to gain approval from many of your companions.
- Once you Clear the Rubble in Grymforge, you will find a Deep Rothe there. It will be thankful for saving it and show you an easier path to the Adamantine Forge.