Ancient Dragon Smithing Stones are the pieces required to upgrade your regular weapons and shields by +25 levels in Elden Ring.
You can use these stones with your weapons at any blacksmith shop, but if you want to upgrade your special armaments, you need Somber Smithing Stones and Somber Ancient Dragon Smithing Stones in the game.
These upgrade materials are more challenging to collect as you might face several enemies guarding these rare pieces. So come prepared by knowing the locations and dangers you might encounter while gathering these Ancient Stones in Elden Ring.
Where to find Ancient Dragon Smithing Stones in Elden Ring
There are a total of 13 Ancient Dragon Smithing Stones scattered across the map in Elden Ring.
You can treat yourself by reaching the Miquella’s Haligtree area to obtain two Ancient Dragon Smithing Stones in Elden Ring.
1) You can get the first Ancient Dragon Smithing Stone by moving north from the location of Loretta, Knight of the Haligtree in Elden Ring.
There you will find a tower that you must climb to reach the top area. Upon exploration of the top of the tower, you will find a chest that contains this much-needed upgrade material.
2) Moving north-south from the Loretta location, you will come across Miquella’s Haligtree legacy dungeon in Elden Ring.
From here, a little movement toward the South will push you toward a hugging Statue. You are going to face 1 Crusader and 2 Misbeggoten before looting the corpse below the statue for another Ancient Dragon Stone.
Mountaintops of the Giants
You can find four Ancient Dragon Smithing Stones in the Mountaintops of the Giants, a rather tough region that you can enter in the late game.
1) Head to the Church of Repose in the Mountaintops of the Giants. Once there, look directly toward the southeast and notice a massive skull. Climb up to the skull and go inside its mouth to find the first Ancient Dragon Smithing Stone.
2) After defeating the Night’s Cavalry, head directly to the west until you find the Yelough Anix Tunnel. From the Site of Grace inside the tunnel, head forward, take a right, and dropdown. Go into the area ahead, drop down, and loot the corpse to the left to get an Ancient Dragon Smithing Stone.
3) Head to the Inner Consecrated Snowfield and rest at the Site of Grace until nighttime. Afterward, head straight towards the southwest from the Site of Grace until you reach the caravan.
You’ll encounter two mini-bosses near this caravan, known as the Night’s Cavalry. Defeat the two bosses to get an Ancient Dragon Smithing Stone.
4) For the fourth Ancient Dragon Stone, you need to move north of the Great Wyrm Theodorix location. You will come across a large frozen waterfall just above the Magma Wyrm. You will find the last Ancient Stone of this area at the edge of the waterfall.
Crumbling Farum Azula
The Crumbling Farum Azula is the region full of dragons and Ancient Dragon Smithing Stones in Elden Ring. You can explore the whole area to get up to a total of three of them.
1) Once inside the dungeon, walk towards the southwest until you see a curved platform. You will be attacked by a Farum Azula Dragon as soon as you reach the platform. Defeat the dragon to get the first Ancient Dragon Smithing Stone from this dungeon.
2) Look for the Crumbling Beast Grace Depths Site of Grace in the dungeon. After finding it, go to the area above the grace site, and you’ll see a Beastman guarding a corpse. Defeat the Beastman and loot the corpse to get the second Ancient Dragon Smithing Stone from this dungeon.
3) From the Dragon Temple Rooftop Site of Grace, head towards the southeast and enter the plaza. At the very end of the plaza, you’ll see another Farum Azula Dragon. Defeat the dragon to get the final Ancient Dragon Smithing Stone from this dungeon.
You can also go into the gazebo behind the dragon to get a Somber Ancient Dragon Smithing Stone while you’re here.
Raya Lucaria Grand Library
1) This Ancient Dragon Smithing Stone can be obtained as a reward from the Sorceress Sellen questline, but only if you side with Witch-Hunter Jerren in Elden Ring.
You will find the Stone at the entrance of the Grand Library in Elden Ring.
Limgrave (Throne Room)
1) This Ancient Dragon Smithing Stone can be obtained as a reward for completing Nepheli Loux’s questline in Godrick’s Throneroom.
Where to buy Ancient Dragon Smithing Stone in Elden Ring
There are two merchants in Elden Ring that will sell you more Ancient Dragon Smithing Stones.
1) The first one is Gatekeeper Gostoc who you can find in the Throne Room of Stormveil Castle in Elden Ring. Once you have completed his quests, you can purchase one Ancient Dragon Smithing Stone from him for a whopping 20,000 Runes.
Gurranq, Beast Clergyman
Gurranq, Beast Clergyman has the final Ancient Dragon Smithing Stone of Elden Ring. However, he is not your typical merchant. There are two ways to get the Stone off of him.
You can either trade your 9th Deathroot for his Ancient Dragon Smithing Stone or choose to kill him. The latter requires you to kill Maliketh first as a prerequisite. Killing Gurranq will also end his questline, so make sure to buy the Stone from him instead.