Tank is one of the three classes in Overwatch 2, and it features a few of the most powerful and bulky players in the game. Tanks are known to be the core component of any team composition, and they take the role of leaders that help their DPS and Supports to navigate the battle on the field and collectively use their abilities to maintain the synergy and bring the trophy home.
In this OW2 guide, we’ll be walking you through the top 5 best Tanks for this month and provide a tier list that ranks each class character. So without further ado, let’s get started.
Overwatch 2 tank tier list
|Sigma, Reinhart, Winston, and D.VA
|Zarya, Wrecking Ball
Now that you know our ranking for the Tank heroes in OW2 from S to C tier, let’s look into our best picks for Tanks that adapt the best to the 5v5 change.
Best Tank: Doomfist
We have Doomfist as one of the best tanks in Overwatch 2. He secures the S-tier spot for all the right reasons. With the recent installment, Doomfist might have faced the most changes due to him being completely shifted into another class. From a Damage to Tank, Doomfist has upgraded into being an overall heavy-duty character in the game. He is strong and can take a lot of damage to defend his team as a tank.
While talking hits, he builds up a punishing hit that can destroy the target. Though his attack range is limited, try to keep him away from ranged Heroes.
From any tank, staying longer on the battlefield is always expected. Meanwhile, using Power Block, Doomfist can easily stay longer by countering damage from the enemies
You can’t use his weapons in a long-range encounter, so always try to stay close to the targets. But yes, you can rush in with him, and he can lead your team to victory if appropriately utilized.
The ability to do destruction is the first thing that everyone wants to see in any tank hero. That said, Roadhog is the hero that does destruction with ease.
Roadhog became an ideal S-Tier tank choice due to the boost in health after the second-season patch. This hero is an ideal example of what we call a punisher.
Talking of unstoppable, the good healing abilities of Roadhog allow him to take a lot of damage before going dead. The damage done to him can never outweigh the healing if a good healer can be on his side.
Picking enemies using the hook is the primary for the Roadhog that helps him bring enemies closer. After bringing closer, the damage to the enemies can be done by a familiar weapon called Scrap Gun.
Best Beginner Tanks
Now that you know our top five picks from the Tank class, let’s see why they also make great beginner-friendly Tanks.
- Weapon: Particle Cannon
- Ability 1: Particle Barrier- emit a personal barrier that shields her against attacks, redirecting their energy to enhance her weapon’s damage.
- Ability 2: Projected Barrier– one of her teammates is protected by an energy barrier that absorbs fire and boosts the power of her Particle Cannon.
- Ultimate Ability: Graviton Surge– Will launch a gravity bomb that gives enemies damage while they’re trapped.
First, on the list, we have Zarya. We ranked Zarya as our top pick, and she’s also one of the most beginner-friendly Tanks in the game. Her outstanding performance might initially intimidate you and make you think that you must master first and use her afterward, but that’s not the case.
Among the community, Zarya is accepted as the most powerful Tank in the game due to her powerful barrier and abilities that shield her allies and make her a reliable team member.
We recommend equipping Zarya as a beginner due to her massive health. She has a base health of 475, 250 health, and 225 shields. As a Tank Hero, you must have enough health to ensure that you can move forward, dealing damage from the enemies while creating spaces for your allies to perform in and achieve the team objective.
Apart from her Particle Barrier and Projected Barrier, Zarya is great for aggressively killing and damaging her enemies with her explosive attacks, such as Particle Cannon and Graviton Surge.
- Weapon: Rocket Hammer
- Alt-Fire Ability: Barrier Shield – Holds a giant energy shield that blocks all incoming projectile attacks
- Ability 1: Charge – charge forward with the boosters on his back, knocking enemies out of the way and pinning one of them to smash against any obstacle
- Ability 2: Fire Strike – throw a fiery arc projectile from his hammer that passes through shields
- Ultimate Ability: Earthshatter – slams hammer on the ground, knocking down all enemies in front of Reinhardt
Fourth on the list, we have Reinhardt. Another friendly beginner tank, we believe Reinhardt will assist you the best due to him providing a safe barrier for his team member and advancing at enemies with his Rocket Hammer. It gives a significant amount of damage to the enemies with coverage of a 5-meter cone in melee range.
With his Charge and Earthshatter, he can absolutely stun the enemies and can be used at any range. In addition, he’s great at taking down the opponent’s team support heroes, which is great for bringing the whole team down at once.
Using Fire Strike is also one great way to use Reinhardt effectively to throw a fiery arc projectile from his hammer that passes through shields and brings down opponents.
- Weapon: Augmented Fusion Driver
- Alt-Fire Ability: Energy Javelin – throws a javelin at a targeted enemy, knocking them back. Super effective if the enemy hits an obstacle
- Ability 1: Fortify – temporarily gains a bit of health, reduces incoming damage, and ignores crowd control effects
- Ability 2: Javelin Spin – blocks projectile and melee attacks from the front while also pushing back enemies
- Ultimate Ability: Terra Surge – pulls in enemies closer to Orisa while charging a surge attack. When released deals massive damage.
Last but not least, we have Orisa. She’s a great pick for you as a beginner due to her great set of abilities that allow you to crowd control and finish them off with her Terra Surge, an ultimate ability that pulls enemies closer to Orisa while charging a surge attack.
When it is released, it deals massive damage to the enemies and gives them an enormous setback.If you like clearing the battlefield, Orisa’s crowd-control abilities will serve you right. She can knock back enemies and avoid them to advance their attacks.
Orisa is super beginner friendly due to her being easy to use and her brand new skillset that guarantees great performance when used right.