Conan Exiles Thrall Capturing Guide to help you find and capture Thrall which are used for crafting possibilities and base defense.
Thralls are Conan Exiles version of dinosaurs from Ark Survival Evolved in a sense that they can be captured and recruited which results in player benefiting from them in various ways such as crafting possibilities and base defense.
Conan Exiles Thrall Capturing
Thralls are NPCs which can be captured and then placed in the player’s camp to either craft items or defend it against invasions depending on the type of thrall it is. Players need to be at least level 10 before they can start the process of capturing thralls.
Thrall Capturing Requirements
Besides being level 10, players also need to learn the Thrall Taker skill for 3 skill points which will allow them to craft Truncheons, Fiber Bindings and Lesser Wheel of Pain, all the essential tools required to enslave a thrall. Pretty much every NPC in the world can be captured provided they aren’t named story related characters.
However, each Thrall has a different specialization, for example, someone might be good at archery while another thrall might be a dancer or a craftsman. Players need to make sure they don’t capture all the same types of thralls and their captives should have a diversity to them for various skills.
There are a number of different Thralls, each specializing in a different kind of job. Each has their own perks and each their own function. To capture the right thrall to get the required utility out of them, you must first identify them correctly.
Listed below are all the NPC Thralls along with their functions and their appearances as – Thrall (appearance) Function;
- Priest – Mitra: (in Blue Clothes) Summons Avatars. Place him at a Shrine of Mitra.
- Priest 2 – Set: (wears Egyptian mask) Place him at a Sepulcher of Set.
- Priest 3 – Yog: (wields a Jawbone sword) Place him at a Pit of Yog.
- Fighter: Place at Guards area to defend the base with melee combat.
- Archer: (holds a [cross]Bow) Place to Guard to defend base from over the walls.
- Smith: (holds a Hammer) Place at a Blacksmith’s Bench to craft various items including powerful new equipment.
- Entertainer/Dancer: (wields Daggers) Removes corruption and provides a health regen buff.
- Alchemist: (holds a stone mace) Place at Cauldron and make use of his orb recipes.
- Armorer: (holds a Repair Hammer) Place at an Armorer’s Bench and get Armors repaired and crafted.
- Bearer: (wears a Backpack) Is used to Caries items.
- Carpenter: (holds a Repair Hammer) Place at a Carpenter’s Bench to repair and craft wooden items.
- Smelter: (wears Mitts)
- Tanner: (holds a large cleaver)
- Taskmaster (Slaver): (carries Truncheon and Fiber Bindings) Place him at a Wheel of Pain or Torturer’s Worktable.
Your Priests will be used to summon all of your avatars. They work at shrines and they make altars. The priests usually have a set spawn point and it is very easy to block a priest.
Fighters are melee combatants who will be used to defend your base. It is best to have them in groups and supported by archers in the back.
Archers are used to defending your base as well. The only difference between them and the Fighters is the fact that Archers use ranged combat to inflict damage. For this reason, it is best to have them on high walls or towers overlooking the area that your Fighters are defending up close.
Smiths are used to crafting items. They have the ability to sometimes craft a really rare item which would be really hard for you to craft. If you have entertainers or dancers instead of Smiths, then they can remove corruption from the player and start restoring your health to its maximum.
Each Thrall can have four different levels of progression in its utility, marked with a I, II, or III at the end of its name, the level four NPCs though, is uniquely named.
Thralls placed on a crafting station reduce the materials needed to make items and reduce production time. Both depending the upon the level of the Thrall, the higher the level, the more efficient and effective it is.
For instance, Level I Thrall speeds up crafting by ~10% while Level II also reduces crafting cost by ~25%. Level III speeds up the process even more and finally the Level IV i.e. the Named Thrall reduces crafting costs to half and increase crafting speed by ~50%.
Once players find the right NPC they want to capture, they need to knock them out with the Truncheon, tie them with Fiber Bindings and then drag the unconscious NPC to their Wheel of Pain.
Make sure not to swing your Truncheon too wildly, as it may kill the NPC rather than knocking them out. Watch the white marker over the Thralls health bar to see when it knocks out.
Like any crafting station, players need to add fuel and ingredient to the wheel of pain which in this case happens to be food and the NPC respectively. Keep an eye out on the food in the wheel of pain and make sure it doesn’t run out.
Slowly over time, the wheel of pain will break the thrall and they will finally submit to the player which will allow them to be picked up and placed in the player inventory like every other item. From the inventory, the thrall can be placed on the ground to wherever the player feels like they are needed.
It is best to place fighters such as swordsman and archers near the walls of the player base so they can defend it while dancers, blacksmith, and similar thralls should be near crafting stations so they can build stuff for the player.
Conan Exiles currently has the following Thrall types available:
- Priests: are required to summon Avatars
- Fighters: defend the base with melee combat
- Archers: defend base with ranged attacks from high walls
- Smiths: craft various items including powerful new equipment
- Entertainers/Dancers: remove corruption from the player and restore maximum health
The Thrall System
Here is how the Thrall system works. When you find a thrall, you can knock them out using a special cudgel regardless of whether they are fighters or crafters. Knock them out and then carry them back to your base after you have tied their feet up.
Once they are at your base, you need to start breaking them so that they can be controlled by you. To do that, you need to put them on the wheel of pain. Make sure that you place some meat or food in the wheel. Any meat will work including human flesh. You can also make gruel if you have fiber or seeds available to you at that time.
Once the Thrall has been broken, it is at your will and command. It will do whatever you ask it to. Usually, you would want Thralls to defend your base or come on your expeditions with you so that they can craft items. Alternatively, you can use Thralls as moveable inventory and use their storage space to carry home all of the loot that you find in your adventures.
While players can capture most NPCs in the game, some faction thralls provide better bonuses compared to others and as such have specific locations where they can be found. The Conan Exiles Thrall Capturing guide will cover some of the factions in the game right now while more will be added as soon as the game gets updated.
- Dogs of the Desert: live to the north near mountains
- Darfari Cannibals: are well-equipped cannibals with primitive weapons. Can be found north of the river
- The Black Hand: are pirates that can be seen near the landlocked pirate ship on a rock formation and have pretty good weapons
- Relic Hunters: live to the north west in their city which is very well guarded. Only high level and well equipped players should try to capture these
This is all we’ve on our Conan Exiles Thrall Guide. If there’s anything else you would like to add, let us know in the comments section below!