Skyrim House Building Materials Guide – Hearthfire House Building Materials Locations, How to Build Hearthfire House
Want to have a taste of Farmville in Skyrim? Play Skyrim: Hearthfire where you can your own house. The second DLC for the game primarily focuses on house building where players are supposed to construct a permanent house of their own. You will acquire a land first and then start building.
You need Heathfire House building materials in order to complete the construction of your favorite place to hang out. The materials are spread across the map at different points.
When we talk about Skyrim Hearthfire House construction, the most important part is the resources needed to build the particular structure. Since we are talking about building houses in Skyrim, there are multiple ways to gather materials.
Although you can go for materials hunting yourself, the easier option is that your hire a Steward, who will buy the materials for you.
If you are playing as thane, the housecarl will play the role of Steward, e.g. (Lydia, housecarl to the Dragonborn in Whiterun). For other classes, one of your followers can play the role of Steward for you.
Skyrim Hearthfire Building Material Locations
Note: Don’t forget to retrieve 30 Clay, 1 Corundum Ingot, 6 Iron Ingot, and 30 Quarried Stone from a chest in your newly bought properties.
Skyrim Hearthfire House Building materials are available in different kinds such clay, glass, and others. You need to head over to different locations to gran these building materials to construct the house in Hearthfire.
Location. For the startup, you will get 30 clay that can be found in the chest placed just beside the Drafting table. You can harvest more from the Clay veins found on your land. Explore the area near the logs.
Location. You can contact some vendors to purchase glass. Vendors in Dawnguard Sanctuary is one good place to buy this material.
Location. You will find some in the starting chest, and if you want more, you can smelt it from the corundum ore or contact some Blacksmith and purchase it directly.
Hinges and Iron Fittings
Location. You can create them at any anvil.
Location. Vendors dealing in General goods can supply the horns, e.g. the one in Riverwood named Lucas.
Lock and Nails
Location. These are the anvil crafts like hinges and fittings.
Location. You will get some from the starting chest. If you want more, you can either smelt it from Iron ore or you can contact the blacksmith or the vendors dealing in general goods.
Location. Apart from the initial supply, you can look for this material around the rocks in front of your land.
Location. To get the wooden pieces, you should contact people working or dealing in the lumber mills. For example, Hert, in the Half-Moon Mill north of Falkreath is one place you can visit.
Location. Not a hard material to find as you can buy it easily from the general traders at various places.
Skyrim Hearthfire – Building Material Requirements
To build the house, you will need these materials during each step of the house building. You need to perform these steps exactly as they are stated.
For example to build the walls, you must first build the foundation and the Wall Framing. Furthermore, once you have finished the initial structure of your house, you can add Misc. Exterior at any time.
- House, Foundation – Requires: 1 Sawn Log, 10 Quarried Stone
- House, Wall Framing – Requires: 6 Sawn Logs, 10 Nails
- House, Walls – Requires: 2 Sawn Log, 8 Nails, 4 Clay
- House, Floor – Requires: 4 Quarried Stone
- House, Roof Framing – Requires: 6 Sawn Log
- House, Roof – Requires: (House, Roof Framing), 10 Nails, 1 Sawn Log
- House, Door – Requires: 1 Iron Fitting, 1 Sawn Log, 1 Lock, 2 Hinge, 2 Nails
- Main Hall, Door – Requires: 1 Iron Fittings, 1 Sawn Log, 1 Lock, 2 Hinge, 2 Nails
- Main Hall, Foundation – Requires: 4 Sawn Log, 30 Quarried Stone
- Main Hall, Floor – Requires: 6 Quarried Stone
- Main Hall, Wall Framing – Requires: 16 Sawn Log, 20 Nails
- Main Hall, First Level Wall – Requires: (Main Hall, Wall Framing), 4 Sawn Log, 16 Nails, 8 Clay
- Main Hall, Second Floor Supports – Requires: (Main Hall, Wall Framing), 6 Sawn Log, 10 Nails
- Main Hall, Second Level Walls – Requires: (Main Hall, Second Floor Supports), 12 Nails, 8 Clay, 4 Sawn Logs
- Main Hall, Roof Framing – Requires: (Main Hall Second Floor Supports), 10 Sawn Logs
- Main Hall, Roof – Requires: 25 Nails, 2 Sawn Log
- Cellar – Requires: 8 Sawn Log, 50 Quarried Stone
All rooms and towers require approximately same materials but if you want a custom-room like a library or trophy room, you will need the following materials:
- Doors – Requires: 2 Iron Fittings, 2 Sawn Log, 2 Lock, 4 Hinge, 4 Nails
- Doors will either be 2 Fittings/Logs/Locks and 4 Hinges/Nails, or 3 Fittings/Logs/Locks and 6 Hinges/Nails.
- Foundation – Requires: 2 Sawn Log, 10 Quarried Stone
- Floor – Requires: 4 Quarried Stone
- Wall Supports – Requires: 8 Sawn Log, 8 Nails
- Roof Support – Requires: 4 Sawn Log
- Roof – Requires: 8 Nails, 1 Sawn Log
- Roof materials will change based on wing type. (Armor roof requires Stone, Trophy Room requires wood)
- Walls – Requires: 3 Clay, 1 Sawn Log
- Foundation – Requires: 2 Sawn Log, 8 Quarried Stone
- Floor – Requires: 4 Quarried Stone
- Main Supports – Requires: 10 Sawn Log, 10 Nails
- First Floor Walls – Requires: 1 Sawn Log, 3 Clay
- Second Floor Supports – Requires: 4 Sawn Log, 12 Nails
- Second Floor Walls – Requires: 2 Sawn Log, 6 Clay
- Roof – Requires: 1 Sawn Log, 4 Quarried Stone
- Roof Canopy – Requires: Sawn Log, 6 Nails
Once you have built the primary structure of the house, you can add additional structures like Garden, Sable, etc.
- Animal Pen – 1 Sawn Log. Adds an animal pen outside your house, allowing you to keep animals here Info?
- Apiary – 2 Sawn Log, 1 Nails, 2 Straw
- Armorer Workbench – 2 Quarried Stone, 1 Iron Ingot, 1 Sawn Log
- Garden – 1 Sawn Log
- Grindstone – 1 Quarried Stone, 1 Sawn Log, 1 Iron Fitting
- Smelter – 2 Iron Fittings, 5 Iron Ingots, 6 Clay, 4 Quarried Stone
- Stable – 3 Sawn Log, 5 Nails
For a detailed look at Hearthfire building materials, consult this spreadsheet and perhaps contribute it to complete it.