In Code Vein, your character will have their own “Blood Code”; this represents their character class. A very interesting feature of Code Vein is that instead of having the traditional character class mechanics, players are free to level up different Blood Codes at the same time.
You will start the game with three Blood Codes available: Fighter, Ranger, and Caster. More Blood Codes will be unlocked as you progress in the game.
Code Vein Blood Codes
You can switch around your Blood Codes any time you want, enabling you to strategize in real-time. The actions of your character, their stats, available gifts and the ability to wield different weapons will depend on these Blood Codes.
This opens up the door for a crazy number of unique builds.
Every Blood Code possesses multiple Gifts which provide useful effects. Code Vein also allows you to equip any passive and/or active gift you want, depending upon your playstyle.
Most of the Blood Codes currently available in the game can be obtained by just progressing through the story. However, there are some codes which may be found by exploring certain locations.
Another thing to note is that as you acquire Vestige items in the map, you can travel back to Home Base and give them to Io. Once you give them to her, she will upgrade the codes you have, or even let you acquire some special new codes.
Now that you know what the Blood Codes actually are, let’s talk about each individual Blood Code and its benefits.
Fighter is one of the three Blood Codes which are available at the start of the game. The main focus of this code is raw strength and melee power. The abilities of this Blood Code are as follows:
- Adrenaline: For a short period of time, attack power is boosted.
- Increased Health: The health pool of the revenant is made larger.
- More Efficient Stamina Usage: Stamina usage is noticeably decreased.
- Blood Guard: For a short period of time, a shield of blood resistance is created for you and your teammates.
Caster is one of the three Blood Codes which are available at the start of the game. The main focus of this code is ranged attacks. The abilities of this Blood Code are as follows:
- Blazing Roar: A blazing flame is shot at the target.
- Bloodshot: A big projectile, made from the power of blood, is shot out.
- Increased Damage Rate: The damage rate of weapon attacks is boosted.
- Dark Impulse: While focused, the potency of the effects of dark gifts is boosted.
Ranger is one of the three Blood Codes which are available at the start of the game. The main focus of this code is to make the entire team more powerful, as a whole, and research the environment. The abilities of this Blood Code are as follows:
- Sonic Arrow: Using ichor, a projectile is shot out from afar.
- Increased Stamina: The maximum stamina limit is increased.
- Spoils Spotter: Points out any obtainable items which you missed.
- Less Stamina with Guard: Guarding an attack decreases the stamina used up, while focused.
- Shifting Hollow: You are able to dash forward, in the form of a mist, due to this unique evasion skill.
- Venom Mark: For a short period of time, the venom effect is applied to the weapon you are wielding.
The main focus of the Berserker Blood Code is to increase strength and endurance. It is unlocked after you defeat Oliver Collins. The abilities of this Blood Code are as follows:
- Increased Balance: The balance rate is boosted.
- Royal Heart: Stagger resistance is boosted temporarily.
- Blow of Madness: The power of your next attack is boosted.
- Precision: Chance to stagger an enemy is boosted temporarily.
- Iron Will: For a short period of time, the effect of all incoming damage is decreased.
- Dragon Lunge: You are able to dash forward with a Two-Handed Sword/Hammer, and then perform a strong overhead attack.
The main focus of the Prometheus Blood Code is to dish out very powerful attacks. Prometheus is unlocked upon visiting Home Base for the first time after interacting with Louis. The abilities of this Blood Code are as follows:
- Fire Storm: A group of burning projectiles is shot out.
- Increased Focus: The amount of focus granted by dodged attacks is boosted.
- Warding Mark: For a short period of time, your weapon is imbued with the inhibiting effect.
- Blade Dance: For a short period of time, for every hit you land on an enemy, attack power is boosted.
- Flame Weapon: For a short period of time, fire damage is added to you and your teammate’s weapon.
- Phantom Assault: You are able to do a jump slash with a One-handed sword/Bayonet/Halberd, while in the form of mist.
The main focus of the Thoth Blood Code is to deal a large amount of damage in a short span of time. The abilities of this Blood Code are as follows:
- Frost Spike: A frozen ice projectile is shot out.
- Floating Light: A ball of light appears at your feet.
- Heroic Fang: Damage inflicted by Charged Drains is boosted.
- Revenant’s Greed: Enemies have a higher chance to drop loot.
- Stun Removal: Any effect of stun on you or your partner is removed.
- Increased Strength: Strength is boosted by a considerable amount.
- Focused Carnage: While focused, focus consumption is decreased.
- Steady Bulwark: For a short period of time, weapon defense (against physical attacks) is boosted.
- Swallow Cutter: Your Two-handed Sword/Hammer performs an insanely quick and powerful attack.
- Bloody Impact: Releases condensed ichor. This creates a shockwave, which pushes away enemies.
The main focus of Aset Blood Code is powerful ranged attacks. The abilities of this Blood Code are as follows:
- Plasma Roar – The target is hit with a surge of electricity.
- Blast Bolt: A group of projectiles, imbued with electricity, is shot out.
- Fourfold Verdict: The target is battered by a barrage of lightning bolts.
- Indra’s Coil: Three strong bolts of lightning are summoned at the target.
- Draconic Stake: A large stake is made out of your blood, which pierces the opponent.
- Shadow Leap: A shockwave is released around you, then you are immediately teleported backward.
- Vow of Ichor: Maximum amount of Ichor which can be held is increased, at the cost of a decreased health pool.
How to Use Blood Codes
To use these Blood Codes, open the character menu by hitting the Options button, then select the central slot.
Once you do this, a list of all Blood Codes in your possession will be displayed. From here, you can pick whatever Blood Code you want to equip.
After equipping a code of your choice, remember to equip your Gifts as well.
Those are all the Blood Codes currently available in Code Vein right now. Good luck building your character!