With almost 30,000 sales in Japan last week, the Playstation Vita has topped the gaming hardware charts in Japan, edging out the Playstation 4 into second place.
The release of Gundam Breaker 3, the gunpla-based action game for PS Vita and PS4 seems to have had a significant impact on the charts as well, as both copies occupy the top two spots in the software sales charts as well.
The combined total sales reaches almost 150,000 for just the first week alone, with many influencing the sales of hardware to go with them.
Take a look at the software sales chart for last week in Japan here (number on the left representing this week’s sales, number on the right representing life-time sales):
- Gundam Breaker 3 – PS Vita – 74,639 / New
- Gundam Breaker 3 – PS4 – 66,580 / New
- Haikyuu! Cross Team Match – 3DS – 23,440 / New
- Atelier Shallie Plus – PS Vita – 19,693 / New
- Mario and Sonic at the 2016 Rio Olympic Games- 3DS – 18,391 / 82,160
- Is the Order a Rabbit? Wonderful Party – PS Vita – 13,458 / New
- Attack on Titan – PS Vita – 12,445 / 96,735
- Life is Strange – PS4 – 12,111 / New
- Splatoon – Wii U – 10,939 / 1,281,087
- Kantai Collection Kai – PS Vita – 9,556 / 171,900
- Minecraft: PS Vita Edition – PS Vita -8333 / 684,587
- Attack on Titan – PS4 – 8,208 / 86,168
- Doraemon: Nobita no Shin Nihon Tanjou – 3DS – 7443 / New
- Kamen Rider: Battride War Genesis – PS Vita – 6,872 / 29,477
- Super Mario Maker – Wii U – 6862/812 781
- Yo-kai Watch Busters – 3DS – 6467/2223515
- Street Fighter V – PS4 – 6,357 / 59,553
- Mega Man Legacy Collection – 3DS – 6,343 / 30,285
- Dragon Quest Builders – PS Vita – 6343/276 533
- Monster Hunter X – 3DS – 6,301 / 2,705,132
The hardware sales tell an interesting story though, with Xbox One bottom of the pile again, despite selling over eight times as many units as the previous week.
It’s also interesting to note that a couple of months ago we reported that the Wii U has sold more life-time units than the PS4 and Xbox One combined but sits at the number four position this week:
- PS Vita: 29,937
- PS4: 28,863
- New 3DS XL: 19,111
- Wii U: 7,260
- New 3DS: 6,013
- 3DS: 2,679
- PS3: 1,600
- 3DS XL: 552
- Xbox One: 490
The Sony consoles seem to be doing fine in Japan despite the recent news that Playstation TV will cease selling very soon, which goes to show the accessory is no longer needed anyway, so the decision to end production is probably a wise one.
Do these charts surprise you? Let us know in the comments below, as well as if you own a PS Vita yourself and still regularly find time to play the Sony handheld.