Most of the wild Pokemon, in Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl can be found roaming in the thick grass or hiding in caves. Several Pokemon, however, can only be caught by resurrecting them from fossils. In this guide, we’ll be showing you how to Get and Revive Fossils in Pokemon BDSP.
Where to Find and Revive Fossils in Pokemon BDSP
The Skull Fossil and the Armor Fossil are two fossils found in Pokemon BDSP. The fossil you get differs depending on the version of the game you’re playing.
The Armor Fossil can only be found in Shining Pearl, while the Skull Fossil can only be found in Brilliant Diamond.
How to Excavate Fossils
In Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl, fossils exist solely in the Grand Underground, and they can be difficult to track. Here’s a breakdown of how to get fossils and revive them.
You must dig for fossils in the Grand Underground of Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl at yellow glittering areas marked with diamonds on the mini-map.
When you interact with the mark, you will be prompted to play a digging minigame in which you can collect fossils.
How to Collect Fossils in Pokemon BDSP
The minigame is fairly simple and will be easy to get the hang of. You will be presented with a covered wall and a pickaxe or hammer. The goal here is to dig up different parts of the wall until you discover the fossils hidden underneath.
But the wall is frail and will become more and more susceptible to collapse with each hammer or pickaxe strike so, hit different spots carefully to reveal more area with each strike. The fossils need to be completely revealed before you can excavate them.
Initially, Skull and Armor fossils are only available and the good thing is that both have a high spawn rate. However, after the acquisition of the National Dex, fossils from various locations begin to appear in the Grand Underground as well.
Pokemon that are not native to Sinnoh appear as fossils in both Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl. The spawn rate for some of them, though, varies based on the game you’re playing.
Fossil Spawn Rates
Fossils With a Higher Spawn in Pokemon Brilliant Diamond
These fossils are either exclusive to or have higher spawn rates in Brilliant Diamond:
- Omanyte (Rock / Water Type)
- Anorith (Rock / Bug Type)
- Cranidos (Rock Type)
- Kabuto (Rock / Water Type)
Fossils with a Higher Spawn in Pokemon Shining Pearl
These fossils are either exclusive to or have higher spawn rates in Shining Pearl:
- Shieldon: (Rock / Steel Type)
- Aerodactyl (Flying / Rock Type)
- Lileep (Rock / Grass Type)
How to Revive Pokemon Fossils
Once you have gotten the fossils, take them to the Mining Museum in Oreburgh City. Speak with the guy at the front desk, and he’ll offer to resurrect a fossil if you have one in your inventory.
Hand over the fossil, and you’ll be able to claim your Pokemon the next time you visit the facility. If you’re in a hurry, simply leave and re-enter the Mining Museum to reclaim your fossil (Now in form of a Pokemon).
The fossil will awaken as a Level 20 Pokemon, and it’s worth noting that only one fossil can be extracted at a time.
All Fossils in Pokemon BDSP
Here is a list of Fossils and Fossil Pokemon available in Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl.
- Skull Fossil: This fossil can only be found in Brilliant Diamond. It can yield the Pokemon Cranidos, a Rock-type Pokemon.
- Armor Fossil: Shining Pearl is the only place where you can find the Armor Fossil. This fossil can give rise to Shieldon, a Pokemon of the Rock and Steel-type.
After the acquisition of National Dex, the following fossils will begin to spawn as well.
- Dome Fossil: Dome fossil can be used to revive Kabuto, a Rock, and Water-type Pokemon.
- Helix Fossil: Omanyte can be revived with the help of Helix Fossil. It is a Rock and Water-type Pokemon.
- Old Amber: Aerodactyl can be revived with the assistance of Old Amber. Aerodactyl is a Pokemon of the Flying Rock type.
- Root Fossil: Pokemon Lileep can be awakened with the help of Root Fossil. Lileep is a Pokemon of the Rock and Glass type.
- Claw Fossil: Using the Claw Fossil, Anorith a Bug and Rock Type Pokemon can be revived.
Best Fossil Pokemon to Revive
The best Fossil Pokemon that you can revive in Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl is Aerodactyl, with the help of the Old Amber.
Aerodactyl is a Flying Rock Pokemon that has two abilities and one hidden ability.
Rock Head: Protects Aerodactyl from recoil damage.
Pressure: If any Pokemon attacks Aerodactyl, they will end up using 2 PP instead of 1.
Unnerve: Opposing Pokemon will be unable to eat berries.
The base stats for Aerodactyl are:
- HP: 80
- Attack: 105
- Defense: 65
- Special Attack: 60
- Special Defense: 75
- Speed: 130