If you face any error, crash or other graphics and performance issues while playing Terraria, you can refer to the troubleshooting guide below for the workarounds to fix these issues.
1# Install .Net Framework
You must install the .Net Framework 4 otherwise your game will not work. Download the required version 4 from here.
2# Install XNA 4.0
XNA 4.0 is also required – Install .Net Framework first and the XNA 4.0 after.
If you are facing any trouble installing XNA 4, install XNA 3.2.
3# Make sure your video card supports XNA
Check it by going through this list.
4# XNA or DirectX Related Crashes
Re-install DirectX 9.0c and XNA if you encounter any crashes related to these. If you don’t have the DirectX installed already, then you can download it from here.
6# Full Screen Mode is not working
You can enable the full screen mode from the options but if due to some reason it is not working then you can simply press ALT+ENTER for the full screen.
7# Configurations are not changing
If you are not able to setup new controls or change the existing ones then go to
My Documents/My Games/Terrariaand delete the file config.dat and restart the game.
8# Low Frames Rate and Performance Fix
Update your drivers as mentioned above and try reinstalling the game and the required software (XNA, .Net Framework) as well. Make sure you don’t have anything open which may interfere with the performance.
9# How do I change the resolution?
See this video.
10# The game crashes at start-up or after some-time
- Delete the config.dat file from My Documents/My Games/Terraria
- Perform all the related steps mentioned above
- Plug in a headphone in your speakers jack if you have not. Many users have reported this to be a fix.
- Lower the resolution
- Start running the game directly (from the steam’s folder instead of the steam launcher)
- Run the game as an administrator (Windows 7, Vista)
11# Terraria crashes “Receiving Tile Data”
Turn off your antivirus system and the make sure that the game is not blocked by any firewalls.
12# Terraria crashes before selecting the world
- Go to My Documents/My Games/Terraria and delete the file config.dat and restart the game.
- Perform a clean reinstall after deleting all the terraria game folders.
13# Can’t connect to the host servers
- Forward the port 31337 on your router
- Make sure that the firewalls are not blocking
- Turn off all the other internet adapters (virtual like Hamachi too)
If you face any other issues, you can ask in comments and I will try to help you out.