If you are playing Call of Duty: Black Ops and want to fine tune it to your liking, and have been unable to enable the console and tweak the game via console, then you can refer to the tweak guide below.
How to Enable Dev Console in Call of Duty: Black Ops Singleplayer
1. Open your config.cfg with notepad. Config.cfg for Black Ops is located here.
program files/Steam/steamapps/common/call of duty black ops/players
2. Now search for “seta monkeytoy”. You can press CTRL+F and type it in.
3. Change seta monkeytoy “1” to seta monkeytoy “0”, replacing 1 with zero.
4. Save the changed you made in the config and start the game. Now you can access the dev console by pressing tild key (~).
How To Change FOV in Single Player
1. Open console by pressing “~” on keyboard, you can find it just under ESC button or top right just above TAB key.
2. Now you already know how to change the field of view that is by using this command “cg_fov X” where X is your desired FOV. Default FOV for the game is 65, I believe. I play on 80, so let it be 80.
3. Now the most important step, you must prefix any command you enter in SP console with a semicolon, forward slash ( \ )or back slash ( / ). Now if you need to change the FOV, just type in “/cg_fov 80” or “;cg_fov 80” in the console.
Big Thanks to Lennox at Steam Forums.
Other Useful Commands
X is the key you can bind to an action. If you want to bind lets say E for running forward. Type in “bind e +forward”.
Will show your framerate. Type “cg_drawFPS 0” to disable it again.
Exits the game.
Removes the decals from the graphics. More FPS.
Removes the sun and water effects.
Set your mouse sensitivity in-game.
If you know any other config tweaks that can come handy in singleplayer, share in comments. If you face any graphics or performance issue running the game, you can refer to our Call of Duty: Black Ops Troubleshooting Guide.