Here is a brief guide on How to Jailbreak Playstation 3. You’ll need a Mod Chip for this guide, though. You can buy one over at Amazon.
The most secure console ‘Playstation 3’ of the decade has finally been hacked. Yes, and above all, it’s been done in the most easiest of ways. In order to hack the Playstation 3, you will be required to plug-in a USB , and install a software in Playstation 3, called BackUp Manager.
How to Jailbreak PS3
PS3 has finally been jailbroken. If you’re looking to find ways to jailbreak your PS3, let’s get started:
PlayStation 3 Mod Chip Specs:
- The PS Jailbreak is compatible with any existing PlayStation 3 model to this day (either FAT or SLIM).
- It recognizes backups in the Internal HDD as an External HDD.
- Works with all PlayStation 3 games.
- Supports homebrew.
- Upgrade-able, with ability to add new features.
Official site indicate that the exploit works best on firmware version 3.41, and also supports the previous version (Although, the tester faced problems in getting it to work for previous firmware versions, so latest 3.41 firmware is recommended in order to use Playstation 3 Jailbreak without any hassle). It has been tested with around 150 games and works perfect.
Before you start:
- You should have Firmware 3.41 installed on the console.
- Download Backup Manager for the website and copy it in any external USB storage device formatted with FAT32.
- The Jailbreak file downloaded from the hosting site.
- Your PS3 must be version 3.56 or lower for you to Jailbreak it or else it will get irreversibly damaged. To check this, plug your flash drive into your PS3’s right-most USB slot. Check the firmware number’s location>Select Settings on the main menu>System Update>Update via Storage Media and then hit OK.
If the number next to “Update data of version” is more than 3.56 than you shouldn’t risk jailbreaking it. The only solution is to downgrade.
Downgrading is impossible with the PS3 Super Slim since it never had version 3.55. The only back to 3.55 from a higher firmware is to use hardware. ProgSkeet. TEENSY++ and E3 FLASHER are what you need.
Type of PS3 to Downgrade:
- NAND PS3: All Fat PS3 up to CECHG model
- NOR PS3: FAT PS3 from CECHH Model and all Slim Models Up to CECH – 25xx Model.
For a NOR PS3, the process of Downgrading works as follows:
- Prepare the Flasher: Install the necessary files and drivers for the Flasher.
- Dump the NOR File.
- Verify the NOR File
- Patch the NOR
- Flash the NOR File.
- Finishing the Downgrade
Be careful, though, as you don’t want to brick your console. Follow the step by step guide below in order to successfully install this Playstation 3 Jailbreak.
How to Jailbreak PS3 with Mod Chip
Switch off the console before connecting the USB PS Jailbreak. Follow the procedure depending on the console you own.
PlayStation 3 FAT
Simply turn off the console from the rear switch.
PlayStation 3 SLIM
It is essential to disconnect the power cord from the back of the console.
Now connect the USB PS Jailbreak to any of the USB connectors on Playstation 3, make sure that you don’t have any other devices connected to PS3, as we jailbreak it.
Press the ‘Power’ button on the console and then press the ‘Eject’ button. Notice how the two LED’s on PS Jailbreak USB turn on while the console is loading.
- If the green light is lit, that means Playstation 3 Jailbreak is working properly.
- If the red light is lit, that means Playstation 3 hasn’t loaded the Jailbreak correctly. This happens when you don’t properly press the ‘Power’ sequence and then ‘Eject’ button.
If you end up with the red light, repeat the process, making sure you have cut down power for Playstation 3 Fat, and have disconnected the power cord from the back of Playstation 3 Slim.
Once the PS Jailbreak has loaded correctly, connect the USB external storage device with Back Up Manager console, that you downloaded before from the website.
Go to game menu and move to option ‘Install Package Files’, and select Back Up Manager, ‘Manager.PKG’.
Once the Back Up Manager is installed, select the Back Up Manager and press X button to run it.
After you have opened the Back Up Manager, put in a DVD of the game and select whether to make a back up on the internal HDD, or the external USB storage device. If you want to make a back up on the external HDD, press o.
To load a previously created back up, insert a game DVD in console then select the desired back up from the Back Up Manager and press X to install the game. You can also delete your previously created back up by pressing /\.
The reason behind inserting a DVD in the console is to emulate the loading process.
After installing the game, you are automatically redirected to the main menu where you can see the game installed and ready to be played.
Warning. Once the jailbreak is installed on the console, it can not be uninstalled or removed.
- It may take up to 90 minutes to back up a game using PS Jailbreak, it took the tester in our case ‘PanaPozi’ about 90 minutes to back up God of War III.
- The online mode works perfect right now but you never know when PSN patches this exploit.
- It is impossible to install the updated to the games if they are installed on PS Jailbreak, but if you have DVD, the updates work as usual.
- It is impossible to jump the videos of the games that are installed on PS Jailbreak.
- Although the Back Up Manager is installed in the console, it is necessary to have PS Jailbreak properly connected and enabled to run the Back Up Manager.
Disclaimer. This guide is for testing and educational purposes only. We won’t be responsible for any loss of important data or malfunctioning of your device. You have been warned!