In Pokemon Sword and Shield, there are many different Pokemons, some old and some new that have made it to the game. Gyarados is a Water and Flying-type Pokemon. In this Pokemon Sword and Shield Gyarados Locations guide, we will describe all the Gyarados locations, how to catch and evolve it!
Pokemon Sword and Shield Gyarados Locations
Gyarados spawns in both overworld and non-overworld spawns. Overworld Spawns mean that the Pokemon is visible in-game. Following are the Overworld Spawns of Gyarados:
|Route 2 (Surfing)||All Weather (Lv. 38-40)||2%|
Gyarados can also be found in non-overworld locations. Non-overworld spawns mean that they are not visible in game and can be only found randomly in tall grass.
Below are the locations for Gyarados in Pokemon Sword and Shield:
|Axew’s Eye||Fishing(Lv. 35-40)||5%|
|Giant’s Seat||Fishing(Lv. 30-35)||10%|
|Bridge Field||Fishing(Lv. 26-28)||5%|
|Dusty Bowl||Fishing(Lv. 40-45)||5%|
|Giant’s Mirror||Fishing(Lv. 26-28)||5%|
|Giant’s Cap||Fishing(Lv. 26-28)||5%|
|Lake of Outrage||Fishing(Lv. 50-52)||5%|
How to catch Gyarados
To catch these Pokemons, go to different locations and search for them. In Overworld spawns, they will be visible whereas in the non-overworld spawns they will have to be searched randomly.
If one does not appear, players can simply run into all of the Pokemon in an area and then “Run” away from the encounter to reset the spawning of new Pokemon to catch.
Gyarados Base Stats
Gyarados has the following stats in Pokemon: Sword and Shield:
- HP: 95
- Attack: 125
- Defense: 79
- Special Attack: 60
- Special Defense: 100
- Speed: 81
Gyarados has the following abilities in Pokemon Sword and Shield:
- Intimidate: Upon entering battle, the opponent’s Attack lowers one stage. In a Double Battle, both opponents’ Attack are lowered. Pokemon with the Clear Body, Hyper Cutter, or White Smoke ability are unaffected. In a link battle, if both sides switch on the same turn, and first player sends out a Pokemon with Intimidate, the opponent’s Attack will be lowered before the opponent’s Pokemon switches.
- Moxie (Hidden Ability): Attack is raised by one stage when the Pokemon knocks out another Pokemon.
Gyarados does not have any further evolutions in Pokemon Sword and Shield. Gyarados is the evolved form of Magikarp.
Gyarados Strengths and Weaknesses
Being a Water and Flying-type Pokemon, Gyarados is strong against Steel, Fire, Water, and Ground-type Pokemon. It is weaker against Rock and Electric-type pokemon.
We have listed some Pokemon against which Gyarados is strong against:
- Arcanine a fire type pokemon.
- Milotic a water type pokemon.
- Rhyperior a ground and rock type pokemon.
- Lapras a water and ice type pokemon.
It is weak against the following pokemon:
- Tyranitar a rock and dark type pokemon.
- Jolteon an electric type pokemon.
- Gigalith a rock type pokemon.
- Shuckle a bug and rock type pokemon.