After Call of Duty: Modern Warfare’s ESRB ratings got released, a lot of rumors started flying around saying that a chunk of the game’s story has been cut in order to meet rating requirements. Infinity Ward has since shut down these rumors and offered a clarification, saying nothing has been cut from Call of Duty: Modern Warfare.
Ever since the start of 2019, we have been hearing a lot about Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. One of the things we heard repeatedly was how Infinity Ward is trying to take the series in a new direction by taking a very serious approach towards war with the storytelling and narrative in Call of Duty Modern Warfare.
Of course, depicting serious themes can be too serious at times especially when talking about things like child soldiers and playing as a suicide bomber. Due to all of these rumors and industry chit chat about the serious story of Call of Duty Modern Warfare, a lot of fans expected a very high ESRB rating. But as it turns out, ESRB (Entertainment Software Rating Board) has given Call of Duty Modern Warfare an official rating of “M” for Mature which is a little less than what fans expected.
The news came yesterday as multiple retailers updated their store listings with the latest Call of Duty Modern Warfare cover art which show the M for Mature ESRB rating. According to Target, GameStop, and official COD twitter, Call of Duty Modern Warfare’s ESRB Content Description lists Blood and gore, intense violence, strong language, and suggestive scenes.
And again, this is interesting because it is less than what fans had expected the ESRB rating was going to be. We repeatedly heard about controversial scenes like child soldiers and playing as a suicide bomber in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. Depicting all of this would most definitely make the games ESRB rating up to AO (Adults Only) but this isn’t the case.
Back in May, we learned that Infinity Ward isn’t going to shy away from discussing controversial topics and showing the true horrors of war instead of glorifying it in Modern Warfare’s story. So when ESRB gave Call of Duty: Modern Warfare only M for Mature when we take all of this into account, a lot of fans wondered if Infinity Ward took all of those controversial topics out.
A lot of rumors started to spread on the internet that Infinity Ward actually took a huge chunk out of the game. The rumors mainly came from TheGamingRevolution who said that Infinity Ward had to sacrifice a lot just to get an M rating for Call of Duty Modern Warfare.
They had to sacrifice a lot to get it rated ?♂️ https://t.co/vpPusAEO7n
— TheGamingRevolution (@TheGamingRevoYT) August 7, 2019
Interestingly, almost every Call of Duty game to this date has been rated M for Mature. So, it is understandable why someone would think M for Mature is something the studio would aim for.
Of course, content being cut can be a bad thing. A lot of fans got worried due to this rumor. So several fans actually ended up asking Infinity Ward if this was the case. While replying to a fan question if Call of Duty: Modern Warfare’s content had been cut to meet the standards set by the ESRB, Taylor Kurosaki, the game’s Narrative Director, provided a clear answer: No.
Nope. Not right.
— Taylor Kurosaki (@taylorkurosaki) August 7, 2019
Actually, this is also something that was brought up during the recent 129 Rapid Fire Questions About Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and again, the game developers said nothing has been cut.
So that clears everything up. In any case, if something has been cut, we’ll probably learn about it anyway after the game’s release. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2019 is being developed by Infinity Ward and has a release date for October 25 for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC.