Even though Days Gone was criticized by many and met with an overall mixed reception, Sony Interactive Entertainment’s PS4 exclusive is continuing to dominate the sales charts in Japan. Famitsu lists Days Gone as the third-highest debut of a Western-developed Sony game in Japan, leaving behind the sales of God of War and Horizon: Zero Dawn.
According to the sales data provided by Famitsu, a Japanese video game magazine, Sony’s biker-themed open-world survival game managed to sell a staggering 114,319 units in its first two days available at retail.
Days Gone’s sale numbers in Japan are far above other games in the country. For comparison, Sony’s PS4 exclusive God of War sold 46,091 units at launch in Japan and Horizon: Zero Dawn sold 116,997 units at the time of its debut.
Famistu’s game sales data says Days Gone’s numbers are more than twice of God of War at launch and roughly almost head to head with Horizon: Zero Dawn’s debut sales.
Software (game) Sales (followed by lifetime sales)
- [PS4] Days Gone (SIE, 04/26/19) – 114,319 (New)
- [NSW] Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (Square Enix, 04/25/19) – 20,366 (New)
- [NSW] Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization Deluxe Edition (Bandai Namco, 04/25/19) – 17,618 (New)
- [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo, 12/07/18) – 13,573 (3,043,150)
- [NSW] Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition (Bundle Version Included) (Microsoft, 06/21/18) – 10,509 (748,009)
- [NSW] Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen (Capcom, 04/25/19) – 10,207 (New)
- [NSW] Yoshi’s Crafted World (Nintendo, 03/29/19) – 9,138 (109,871)
- [NSW] New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe (Nintendo, 01/11/19) – 8,962 (584,806)
- [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo, 04/28/17) – 8,456 (2,269,581)
- [NSW] Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 04: VR Kit (Nintendo, 04/12/19) – 7,467 (43,175)
Just over a week ago, the Days Gone physical sales in the UK surpassed Resident Evil 2 remake, Far Cry New Dawn, The Division 2.
Even though the game was initially met with some backlash regarding bugs and glitches which have been since solved thanks to the Days Gone Update 1.05, the game seems to be doing rather well considering it’s a brand new IP from Sony.
It is likely Days Gone sales will continue to stay at the top in Japan for a couple of weeks until a new game comes along to steal the show. Let’s wait and see what happens…
Days Gone is an open-world survival game developed by Sony Bend exclusively for PlayStation 4.