Wanting to get your hands on the unique and new Pokemon, Meltan and soon after evolving it to the equally distinct Melmetal? Well, there are certain steps involved. Let us talk about them in our Pokemon Let’s Go Meltan Guide.
Pokemon Let’s Go Meltan
New to the Pokemon canon and series, the Meltan is a small, Steel-type Pokemon that you can acquire as a part of a Special Research Quest.
However, this quest is a tough one and though, we will shed details on it below – you should also know of a second method.
The alternative method revolves around linking up and synchronizing your Pokemon Go app with Pokemon Let’s Go on Nintendo Switch.
Once you have done so via Bluetooth, you need to transfer a Gen-1 Pokemon from Pokemon Go to Pokemon Let’s Go Eevee and Pikachu.
This will result in the establishment of Go Park in place of Safari Zone in Fuchsia City. In turn, you will be awarded the Mystery Box when you speak to the receptionist here in the building.
Opening the Mystery Box sets Meltan to roam freely in the wild for 30 minutes and it is during this time you will need to hunt for it and capture it.
Remember, if you fail to catch the Pokemon, you will need to wait for 7 real-time days before you can transfer another Pokemon this way, restart the whole process and begin your hunt again.
Do note that the Mystery Box will remain as a permanent item in your inventory but you will be able to open it once per week.
Once you have caught the Pokemon in the version of Pokemon Go on Nintendo Switch, you will then need to proceed by transferring the Meltan the same you carried out previously for the other Pokemon.
Now, you will just need to capture it near the Go Park in Pokemon Let’s Go and add it to your collection.
This is much more time-consuming and can somewhat be considered as a grind. Although you will receive certain rewards too, that does not make the whole procedure any less short.
Speaking with Professor Willow to acquire the Research Quest: Let’s Go Meltan, you will need to complete a total of 9 steps to finally get your hands on Meltan. The instructions are as follows for each step:
- Spin 5 PokeStops of Gyms: 500 XP reward
- Catch 10 Pokemon: 500 XP reward
- Transfer 5 Pokemon: 500 XP reward
Rewards: x1000 Stardust, x10 PokeBalls, x1 Incubator
- Earn 2 Candies walking your Buddy: 1000 XP reward
- Make 10 Great Throws: 1000 XP reward
- Hatch 3 Eggs: 1000 XP reward
Rewards: x2000 Stardust, x2 Lucky Eggs, x1 Fast TM
- Catch a Ditto: 1500 XP reward
- Win 2 Gym Battles: 1500 XP reward
- Battle in two Raids: 1500 XP reward
Rewards: x10 Great Balls, x3 Incense, x3 Max Revive
- Catch 5 Steel-type Pokemon: 2000 XP reward
- Catch 5 Electric-type Pokemon: 2000 XP reward
- Earn 5 Candies walking with your buddy: 2000 XP reward
Rewards: x4000 Stardust, x5 Pinap Berry, x5 Rare Candy
- Evolve a Grimer: 2500 XP reward
- Catch 5 Slugma or Gulpin: 2500 XP reward
- Make 20 Great Throws: 2500 XP reward
Rewards: x5000 Stardust, x20 Great Balls, x5 Lure Module
- Evolve a Magnemite: 3000 XP reward
- Catch 5 Exeggcute: 3000 XP reward
- Battle in 10 raids: 3000 XP reward
Rewards: x1 Silver Pinap Berry, x1 Metal Coat, x10 Ultra Ball
- Evolve 1 Drowzee: 3500 XP reward
- Catch 1 Cubone: 3500 XP reward
- Evolve 1 Scyther: 3500 XP reward
Rewards: x10 Ultra Balls, x1 Charged TM, x3 Premium Raid Passes
- Catch 2 Omanyte of Kabuto: 4000 XP reward
- Catch 2 Lileep or Anorith: 4000 XP reward
- Catch an Aerodactyl: 4000 XP reward
Rewards: x8,000 Stardust, Meltan encounter, x1 Star Piece
- 4500 XP reward
- 4500 XP reward
- 4500 XP reward
Rewards: x9,000 Stardust, x1 Super Incubator, x5 Meltan Candy
Completion of all nine steps will earn you the Meltan Pokemon.
Evolving Meltan into Melmetal
Melmetal, also belonging to the Steel-type, is rather humongous compared to Meltan. To evolve Meltan into this beast of a Pokemon, you’ll need Candies and a lot of them.
Within Pokemon Go on mobile, you’ll need to feed Meltan 400 Candies in total for the evolution process to occur. Since this amount is astonishingly high, you will need to grind a lot for it.
The two primary sources of earning candies are via capturing Meltan multiple times and sending the Pokemon over to Professor Willow.
Thus, you need to repeat both these procedures hundreds of times before you can achieve your goal of obtaining 400 Candies in total.
For this process, catch as many Meltan you can once you open a Mystery Box, there is no limit so you will be able to catch around 30 in one week.
After getting all the candies, you are all set to go and evolve to acquire the powerful Pokemon, Melmetal!