scroll down

Gambit Producer Offers More Assurances, “We’re Still Trying”

The long-troubled solo debut of Gambit is still breathing somewhere or at least that is what the involved parties continue to claim.

Speaking with Entertainment Weekly in a recent interview, producer Simon Kinberg assured fans that they have not given up. 20th Century Fox is still trying to get things underway and has no plans to shelf the project anytime soon.

“Believe it or not,” said Kinberg, “we’re still trying to get Gambit up and running.”

It has been more than two years since Gambit was first announced and since then, three directors have joined and left. Gore Verbinski was the latest one to depart after coming on board last October. Prior to him were Rupert Wyatt and Doug Liman, both of whom left in 2016. The common reason has been regarding script issues and creativity freedom.

However, a few months back, a fourth director reportedly agreed to take the reins. There is still no word on his/her identity but principal photography is said to be slated for June 19, 2018. This would mean that 20th Century Fox might be dropping some details in the coming weeks.

Despite the development problems, Channing Tatum (21 Jump Street) is still onboard to take on the titular role of Remy LeBeau, a powerful mutant with the ability to charge any object with kinetic energy that explodes on impact. Léa Seydoux (Spectre) will join the cast as Bella Donna Boudreaux, a childhood friend of LeBeau. Mr. Sinister will be the chief antagonist but an actor is yet to be confirmed.

Gambit was initially pegged to open in theaters on February 14, 2019, before being delayed to June 7, 2019. The project is currently looking at a speculated premiere around late 2019 at best.