The box office predictions for Avengers: Infinity War continue to improve as the official premiere draws nearer.
According to a report from Variety earlier today, the highly anticipated movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe has now been pegged by analysts for a debut weekend that will rake in around $225 million to $245 million in the domestic box office.
There is also the possibility of crossing the $250 million threshold. If this milestone comes to pass, Avengers: Infinity War will become the biggest debut of all time.
Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015) currently holds this honor, having debuted to around $248 million back then and running forth to just under $1 billion in the domestic box office. Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017) comes in second in this category with a staggering $220 million debut.
For those interested in putting the latest tracking numbers for Avengers: Infinity War in perspective, the following are the top ten highest box office debuts in history.
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens – $247,966,675
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi – $220,009,584
- Jurassic World – $208,806,270
- The Avengers – $207,438,708
- Black Panther – $202,003,951
- Avengers: Age of Ultron – $191,271,109
- Captain America: Civil War – $179,139,142
- Beauty and the Beast – $174,750,616
- Iron Man 3 – $174,144,585
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 – $169,189,427
Avengers: Infinity War will open in theaters on April 27, 2018. The untitled sequel, presently dubbed Avengers 4, is slated to premiere on May 3, 2019.
There are only a few more days remaining before it is ascertained if Avengers: Infinity War has what it takes to trump Black Panther (2018) and the pile of accolades achieved by Wakanda in the past few months.