Divinity: Original Sin 2 Has Passed 1 Million Copies Sold
Divinity: Original Sin 2 is believed by many to be the best RPG ever created. Even though one cannot calculate the greatness of a title in a specific genre, its only natural to think that its popularity is one of the main reasons to believe so. Larian Studios’ sequel to Divinity: Original Sin has just passed the 1 Million Copies Sold milestone, making it a remarkable achievement for the developer team.
Even though Divinity: Original Sin 2 is only released for two months it was stuck in early access for roughly a year, so it makes sense that it managed to reach this threshold in such a small amount of time after its launch. During its early access, the game has sold almost 350.000 copies which, added to the 180.000 sold in its first week, make half a million copies sold in its first week only.
Around that time, Swen Vincke, owner of the developer and publisher Larian Studios revealed:
“It is fantastic, but it is also way beyond what we expected. We’re close to hitting 500K units sold which is a number I believe took us two or three months with Divinity: Original Sin 1.”
… at least, not without the best fans in the world! In just a couple of months we've roared past this huge landmark, and it's all down to you! pic.twitter.com/PiimrwV9b8
— Larian Studios (@larianstudios) November 28, 2017
According to SteamSpy, 90% of those sales are made on Steam, leaving around 10% for GOG.
The company is now focusing on bringing the game to the consoles. During an interview with Eurogames, Vincke stated:
“Lots of players means lots of support issues coming in and we’re trying to service them as fast as we can. After that, it’ll be a long well deserved break for the team and then we’ll boot up our machines again to work on the next things.”
Divinity: Original Sin 2 is nominated for the award for Best RPG in The Game Awards 2017. If you are a fan of the game and believe it should be called RPG of the year, go ahead and give it a vote of approvement. On the other hand, if you never played it but are intrigued as to what makes it so loved by everyone, you can grab it on Steam and GOG for 44,99€.