A new update went live earlier today for Overwatch that finally introduces the promised rework of Mercy to give healers more to do on the battlefield.
According to the official patch notes, her resurrection ability has been moved to the primary slot and now targets a singler player rather than an entire area. Take note that while Mercy can now resurrect more often, she is no longer invulnerable for the duration.
As for her new ultimate ability, the hero can enhance her weapons and abilities for bonus effects. This includes a boost to damage and healing as well as increased range and projectile speed. Furthermore, Mercy can freely fly around the map at great speeds.
“While resurrecting downed allies is a core part of Mercy’s gameplay, the way her Ultimate functioned was causing a number of problems,” the developer explained. “It was frustrating to play against, and it incentivized Mercy players to hide away from important battles, instead of taking part in them.”
Resurrect (Formerly Ultimate ability)
- Ability now targets a single player, instead of every player within a radius
- Radius reduced to 5 meters
- Ability cooldown is 30 seconds
- Mercy is no longer granted invulnerability while Resurrect is active
Valkyrie (New Ultimate Ability)
- Valkyrie unleashes the full power of Mercy’s Valkyrie suit, enhancing her weapons and abilities for 20 seconds
- Caduceus Staff: Mercy’s healing and damage boosts beams now affect all allies near the targeted teammate, and the staff’s effective range has been extended
- Caduceus Blaster: Now has infinite ammo and increased projectile speed
- Guardian Angel: Increased range and movement speed
- Resurrect: Cooldown is instantly reset when Valkyrie is activated and reduced to 10s after the initial cast
- Hover: Mercy gains the ability to fly freely, at increased movement speed
- Regeneration (Passive): No longer interrupted when Mercy takes damage
Previously, game director Jeff Kaplan noted that her current kit was encouraging a rather passive style of gameplay where players would often refrain from healing their allies if her resurrection ultimate ability was fully charged. In addition, the more competitive portion of the community was interested to see Mercy feature a few additional options when it comes to the game.
The new update is available for Overwatch across all three platforms. You can test out the changes for yourself.