This Pokemon Go Mewtwo Guide will help players take on this boss Pokemon and hopefully add him to their roster after a fun fight.
Mewtwo will be accessible exclusively through Raid battles. So players will need to tackle him in a group of players before they can even hope to capture this legendary Psychic Pokemon.
Pokemon Go Mewtwo Boss
Since Mewtwo has a CP of 49,430 capturing him won’t be an easy task at all and nor should it be since he is a raid boss after all.
Of course, if players know what they are doing and go in well prepared, they might be able to catch him with a right team and selection of counters.
As a Psychic-type, Mewtwo takes extra damage from Dark, Bug and Ghost type. Players should have Pokemon like Gengar, Pinsir, Houndoom or Tyranitar in their party.
Tyranitar’s Bite and Crunch, Houndoom’s Snarl and Foul Play and Gengar’s Shadow Claw and Shadow Ball are highly effective against Mewtwo.
However, even with these Pokemon, it won’t be an easy task to take it down as being a raid boss allows Mewtwo to deal some devastating damage.
An example of that is his Focus Blast which hits for 140 PWR which means players must dodge such attacks at all cost.
While his Focus Blast deals massive damage to Tyranitar, the Dark type Pokemon also happens to be the best counter for the boss as others tend to be somewhat squishy and rely a lot on dodging attacks.
Once players manage to defeat Mewtwo and capture it, possibly after a number of failed attempts, they can use it to attack Gyms however it can’t defend their own Gym.
- Confusion (Quick Move)
- Psychic (Charge Move)
- Bug Type
- Dark Type
- Ghost Type
- Fighting Type
- Psychic Type
To unlock the Mewtwo encounter, players need to power through the nine-part Kanto research until they are at the last stage.
Fulfilling the final task will unlock the Mewtwo encounter. To reach that point players need to finish the steps mentioned below:
- Capture 3 Grass, Water, or Fire Type Pokemons (10 Pokeballs)
- Take a snapshot of a Bug Type Pokemon (5 Pinap Berries)
- Catch a Rock Type Pokemon (500 Stardust)
Rewards: Onix encounter, 1 Rare Candy, 2 Golden Razz Berries
- Battle in a raid (Clefairy encounter)
- Transfer 3 Pokemon (10 Super Potions)
- Capture a Water Type Pokemon (500 Stardust)
Rewards: Starmie encounter, 1 Rare Candy, 2 Silver Pinap Berries
- Evolve 3 Pokemon (10 Great Balls)
- Hatch an Egg (Snorlax encounter)
- Catch an Electric-type Pokemon (500 Stardust)
Rewards: Raichu encounter, 1 Rare Candy, 2 Golden Razz Berries
- Give your partner a treat (Gastly encounter)
- Send gift to a friend (Dratini encounter)
- Capture a Grass Type Pokemon (500 Stardust)
Rewards: Tangela encounter, 1 Rare Candy, 2 Silver Pinap Berries
- Earn a candy walking with your buddy (5 Ultra Balls)
- Make 3 Great Throws (Chansey encounter)
- Capture a Poison Type Pokemon (500 Stardust)
Rewards: Weezing encounter, 1 Rare Candy, 2 Golden Razz Berries
- Take a snapshot of a Ghost-type Pokemon (Hitmonchan encounter)
- Capture a Fighting Type Pokemon (Lapras encounter)
- Catch a Psychic Type Pokemon (500 Stardust)
Rewards: Alakazam encounter, 1 Rare Candy, 2 Silver Pinap Berries
- Take a snapshot of an Ice Type Pokemon (10 Hyper Potions)
- Evolve a Pokemon (Aerodactyl encounter)
- Catch a Fire Type Pokemon (500 Stardust)
Rewards: Arcanine encounter, 1 Rare Candy, 2 Golden Razz Berries
- Power up a Pokemon 6 times (1 Charged TM)
- Battle another Trainer (1 Star Piece)
- Capture Ground Type Pokemon (500 Stardust)
Rewards: Nidoking encounter, 1 Rare Candy, 2 Silver Pinap Berries
Rewards: 9,000 XP, Mewtwo encounter, 10 Rare Candies
Following all the steps mentioned above will lead you to encounter Mewtwo and avail a chance to capture it.