As previously promised, the Battlefield 1 Spring Update has brought a long list of improvements for the game’s netcode and online network.
The developer is handing a penalty to all players with pings over 100 ms to lower the chance of others being hit around corners. The game’s online algorithm has been adjusted to better calculate lag compensation, which will work alongside new network settings that have been tweaked to prioritize hit-information above everything else.
The network latency warning icons now have a lower threshold, and better extrapolation for jittery players should make moving around much smoother than before. In addition, the developer is claiming that the loading times have been reduced to make sure players are able to join ongoing matches quicker.
Furthermore, the Battlefield 1 netcode improvements will allow players to trade kills. Provided that the victim managed to fire his weapon before dying, the game will take into account the bullet damage for a “fair” trade.
- Fixed jitter for spectator when movement starts.
- Replaced Ping in Scoreboard by Latency for all platforms.
- Players with a connection above 100ms will have to lead their shot as server side hit detection is performed, indicated by icon in upper right corner.
- This should lower the hit around corner effects and impede a penalty for high ping players to hit players.
- Improved extrapolation handling for jittery players. Movement should now be much smoother and allow the other clients to have better hit detection on those.
- Lowered thresholds for network latency warning icons.
- Yellow 90ms
- Red: 200ms.
- Fixed issue with grenade unspawning when owner died. When you dropped a grenade right before you died, it previously just disappeared.
- Allow bullet damage from killed players if the victim got his shot off while he was still alive. This will allow killtrades, but in a fair manner.
- Improved level loading times during network syncing phase. Will improve the time joining into ongoing matches.
- Prioritize hit information over other information during networking.
- Fixed issue where bullet impact FX would appear at the wrong impact positions.
- Moved hit effect in more sync with networked shooter/shooting.
- Changed warning icons to use average fps for fps instead of CPU spikes.
- Improved algorithm of calculating lag compensation.
The Battlefield 1 Spring Update is now live and weighs in at 2.30 GB. Among the new features is the introduction of Platoons, and Medics being able to inform players who they are going to revive. The game has also received four new weapon variants for each class. You can read about what changed and what got added here.