Diablo III Guide to Best Legendary Gems for Clearing Greater Rifts
With Diablo III set to commence with another new season in a couple of days, it is time to highlight some of the best Legendary gems available in the game.
Legendary gems go into rings and amulets, and provide unique powers that can be upgraded for additional unique bonuses. They are vital to the game and donning the right combination essentially decides whether an adventurer is able to clear Greater Rifts or not.
Legendary gems do depend on the class in question. Though, most can be shared across the board. To know for certain which gem is most suitable for you, do consult character-specific guides for your final builds.
The following are not in any specific order.
Bane of the Stricken
- Each attack you make against an enemy increases the damage it takes from your attacks by 0.80%.
- Gain 25% increased damage against bosses and Rift Guardians. (Requires Rank 25)
It is hard to find an alternative to what this gem provides. Short and simple, it is vital for the killing of high-tier bosses in Diablo III.
Bane of the Trapped
- Increase damage against enemies under the effects of control-impairing effects by 15.00%.
- Gain an aura that reduces the movement speed of enemies within 15 yards by 30%. (Requires Rank 25)
Make no mistake, the gem is the most popular one to have in the game. It is utilized by pretty much every class that opts for an offensive build. Increased damage to enemies that are stunned, taunted, charmed, etc. is good enough, but the aura further amplifies damage by slowing nearby enemies down.
Bane of the Powerful
- Gain 20% increased damage for 30.0 seconds after killing an elite pack.
- Gain 15% increased damage versus elites and take 15% reduced damage from elites. (Requires Rank 25)
Alongside being one of the top picks when it comes to offensive builds, the gem is also favored in speed builds. The popularity, though, lasts only for the initial stages. Once you enter into higher-level Rifts, the gem ceases to be helpful.
- Critical hits cause the enemy to bleed for 2500.0% weapon damage as Physical over 3 seconds.
- Gain Blood Frenzy, granting you 3% increased Attack Speed for each bleeding enemy within 20 yards. (Requires Rank 25)
The frenzy state is greatly beneficial when it comes to dealing with large clusters of enemies, but is pretty much useless against a single target. Take note that the damage numbers on bleed scale with physical damage.
Gogok of Swiftness
- Gain Swiftness with every attack, increasing your Attack Speed by 1% and Dodge by 0.50% for 4 seconds. This effect stacks up to 15 times.
- Gain 1% Cooldown Reduction per stack of Swiftness. (Requires Rank 25)
The gem is perfect for any build that benefits from cooldown reduction in Diablo III. On that note, it should never be picked for its bonus attack speed.
Zei’s Stone of Vengeance
- Damage you deal is increased by 4.00% for every 10 yards between you and the enemy hit. Maximum 20.00% increase at 50 yards.
- 20% chance on hit to Stun the enemy for 1 second. (Requires Rank 25)
As the description makes it apparent, the gem is a great choice for ranged classes like Demon Hunter and Wizard. In addition to the increased damage, the bonus percentage to crowd-control is incredibly helpful when combined with blazing attack speed.
- Gain 10.0% non-Physical damage reduction.
- While below 50% Life, your resistances to Cold, Fire, Lightning, Poison, and Arcane are increased by 75%. (Requires Rank 25)
Probably the best defensive gem in the game, it is the staple of increasing toughness when starting out. Many still make use of it later on, while some replace it for other benefits.
Gem of Efficacious Toxin
- Poison all enemies hit for 2000% weapon damage over 10 seconds.
- All enemies you poison take 10% increased damage from all sources and deal 10% less damage. (Requires Rank 25)
The reduction in overall damage received, and damage amplification, makes this one of the best supporting gems in the game. It should be noted that the bonus does not stack. Having multiple allies poison enemies will only refresh the timer.
- Gain 2.00% increased damage for 1.5 seconds when you spend resource on a channeled skill. This effect stacks up to 10 times.
- Gain 2.0% increased Armor for every stack. (Requires Rank 25)
The real benefit from this gem can only be had through constant resource consumption. Barbarian, for example, can do so with Whirlwind but it is hard to keep channeling the ability for long. Hence, Witch Doctor alone is the best class in this category for increased damage and defense. It is an essential part of the class in Diablo III.
- Your Cold skills now apply Chill effects and your Chill effects now Slow enemy movement by an additional 5.0%.
- Enemies you Chill have a 10% increased chance to be Critically Hit. (Requires Rank 25)
While cold doesn’t seem that useful in the beginning, it is a detrimental element for higher-level Rifts. Make sure that only one support player from the group is wearing it because the bonuses do not stack. In addition, never level this gem past 25 as the scaling hardly affects skirmishes.