January NPD: Grand Theft Auto V Still in Top Five
Grand Theft Auto V has proven to be the single most successful video game ever released. The game has sold over 54 million copies and even after so much time, it remains in the top five best selling games month after month.
According to details revealed in January NPD, Grand Theft Auto V is the second best selling game for the month. At the top was Activision’s Call of Duty Black Ops 3.
Overall it wasn’t a good month for retail as sales fell by 4% year-over-year. Meanwhile, hardware sales fell by 15% year-over-year. In total, consumers spent $605.2 million on various gaming products. Hardware sales were $157 million, a decrease from $185 million during the same period last year.
According to NPD analyst Liam Callahan:
Recently, hardware declines typically were a result of [Xbox 360 and PS3] generation console and portable declines exceeding growth in [the current] generation hardware sales. In January 2016, however, the sales of [current] generation consoles declined by 8 percent, despite relatively flat unit sales, as average prices dipped by 6 percent as a result of price cuts that took place between January 2015 and January 2016.
Game sales saw a 10% decrease year-over-year as sales stood at $212.7 million.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
- Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
- NBA 2K16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
- Star Wars: Battlefront (Xbox One, PS4, PC)
- Fallout 4 (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
- Minecraft (360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3)
- Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Siege (Xbox One, PS4, PC)
- Madden NFL 16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
- Lego: Marvel Avengers (PS4, Xbox One, 360, Wii U, PS3, 3DS, Vita)
- FIFA 16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
These numbers and details in January NPD are from retailers in the U.S and do not include performance of digital games, used games and hardware, mobile, Xbox Live, Steam or PSN.