This week in Japan has been ruled by two and only two things, the first being Dragon Quest Builders and thee second our very own PlayStation Vita as revealed by Media Create in the sales statistics for the week running from January 25 to January 31.
In terms of hardware sales, the Vita sold the maximum number of units reaching 45,114 followed by PS4 with 32,557. Nintendo 3DS came third with 31,427 while Nintendo Wii U sold only 8,931 and PS3 1,993 – which is still better than the 92 units sold by Xbox One.
While PlayStation Vita ruled the hardware market, in terms of software it was Builders with all three versions of it making it to the top five best selling games of the week in Japan.
The only other games that were there in the top five were Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash and Uta no Prince-Sama: Music 3. Here is a rundown on the top 20 games:
- Dragon Quest Builders: Alefgard o Fukkatsu Niseyo (PS Vita)
- Dragon Quest Builders: Alefgard o Fukkatsu Niseyo (PS4)
- Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash (Nintendo Wii U)
- Dragon Quest Builders: Alefgard o Fukkatsu Niseyo (PS3)
- Uta no Prince-Sama: Music 3 (PS Vita)
- Yakuza: Kiwami (PS4)
- Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13 (PS4)
- Yakuza: Kiwami (PS3)
- Monster Hunter X (Nintendo 3DS)
- TV Anime Idolm@ster: Cinderella Girls G4U! Pack Vol.8 (PS3)
- Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13 (PS3)
- Hyrule Warriors Legends (Nintendo 3DS)
- Splatoon (Nintendo Wii U)
- Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Festa: Houka Kenran (PS Vita)
- Yo-Kai Watch Busters: Red Cat Team / White Dog Squad (Nintendo 3DS)
- Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition (PS Vita)
- Monster Strike (Nintendo 3DS)
- Just Cause 3 (PS4)
- Super Mario Maker (Nintendo Wii U)
- Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs-Force (PS Vita)
As you can see, a good set of PlayStation Vita games allowed the handheld to stay on top; there are five Vita games in the list above.