It is a pretty cool feature that you get to preinstall a game and diig right into it as soon as it gets unlocked; but in the case of Fallout 4 Xbox One version you will have to be a little extra cautious.
Bethesda has updated everyone that if you preordered the game on or before October 27, you might be stuck with a stub/ placeholder file on your Xbox One instead of a full installation.
Here’s what every Xbox One fan of Fallout 4 should keep in mind:
If you’ve digitally pre-ordered the game on Xbox One on or before 10/27 and are NOT using Instant On power mode, you may still have an incorrect “stub file” for the title, which is simply a placeholder file. Players that have this particular version of the stub file will be required to delete it, and reinstall the title.
If all these technicalities sound too boring to you, ignore all that and just follow these steps:
- Navigate to My Games and Apps.
- Find the title’s tile in Games.
- With the tile highlighted, press the [Menu] button on your controller.
- Select Manage Game.
- In the Manage Game screen, select the storage device the game is currently installed to.
- Select Uninstall.
- Once the game has uninstalled, return to My Games and Apps.
- Scroll right to the “Ready to Install” section under Games.
- Highlight the title’s tile.
- Press [A] to select.
- Choose Install.
Remember to do this before Fallout 4 releases in order to avoid that extra wait.