Mortal Kombat X PC Patch Removes Save Files, Bravo!
Mortal Kombat X has been an utter mess since its launch last month on the PC. In efforts to try and mend its broken state, NetherRealm Studios announced a mega patch which would resolve many of the game’s technical issues.
As promised, the patch was released today and weighed in an enormous 15.8GB. Unfortunately for those with speedy connections and who were able to complete the update, the patch removed their save files.
This was followed by an update on the game’s Steam page explaining, “We are temporarily removing the patch until we can pinpoint the cause of save data loss. We are actively working on this and will keep everyone posted as we work towards a fix. We sincerely apologize for this disruption.”
This is not the first time that players have lost their Mortal Kombat X save files. This was reportedly happening since the game’s release. Ironically, this patch was supposed to fix that by adding a “save data safety check to try to eliminate save data loss.”
The PC version of Mortal Kombat X was developed externally by High Voltage Software. Burn that name on your forehead to remind yourselves to stay as far as possible from any games bearing that logo in the future.
Here is what today’s patch was supposed to fix:
- Added the free Klassic Sub-Zero costume.
- Display drivers should no longer crash during online play.
- A crash will no longer occur after a full rotation of players in the lobby during Round Robin matches.
- Fixed a crash that some users experienced during the first QTE in the story.
- Game no longer crashes when players attempt to join a game through Steam or in a room.
- Fixed startup crash on high end systems (those with > 8 cores).
- Fixed a crash that would occur during recorded match playback.
- Save data safety check to try to eliminate save data loss.
- Fix to prevent save game data from being corrupted while closing the game.
- Walk away animations now appear at the end of the character selection process.
- The levers in Shao Khan’s Tomb will now activate.
- Shinnok’s Flick Trick Fatality no longer experiences a significant framerate drop.
- Functionality is no longer lost while watching a match replay.
- Pre-game lobbies will populate 10 players into Faction Battle matches.
- Kombat Kards will now display correct Icons, Backgrounds, and Borders in a KOTH match.
- Fatality inputs no longer change into QTE inputs during in Online Tower Battles.
- Game no longer desynchronizes when a player selects a character that their opponent has not unlocked.
- D’Vorah’s cape no longer moves when she’s killed.
- Game no longer freezes when opponent in online closes the game.
- Title remains responsive while story cinematics are loading.
- Fixed leaderboards and Kombat Kards not updating past the top players.
- After entering replays with the controller, the player can use the keyboard when watching a replay from an online match.
- Loading screens now display before progress bar fills up.
- Diagonal arrows are shown instead of keys when Alternate Control is enabled.
- Sometimes saving a Custom1 preset displayed as being saved for Custom1-4 in the character select and pause menu controls screens.
- The UI arrows will now switch sides on a tagged move when the character switched position with his opponent.
- Chat room names will now display properly (instead of SteamIDs).
- Fixed input callouts when switching between keyboard and USB controller after entering a KOTH match.
- Additional graphical fidelity options.
- General Matchmaking improvements.
- Performance improvements
- Improved online stability
- Multiplayer invite improvements
- Gameplay fixes and balancing
- Various Kombat Kard fixes
- WB Play fixes
- General bug fixes