The game is looking to expand its roster by adding some popular indie game characters like Shovel Knight, Guacamelee and more.
Here’s the the full-list of characters:
- Shovel Knight – Shovel Knight
- Juan and Tostada – Guacamelee!
- Swift Thornebrooke – Sportsball
- Rusty – Steamworld Dig: A Fistful of Dirt
- CommanderVideo and CommandGirlVideo – BIT.TRIP Presents…Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien
- Scram Kitty – Scram Kitty and His Buddy On Rails
These characters are re-skins of the original ones so they don’t introduce any new skills, machines or abilities to the game, so why would the developers want to add them? Here’s why: “Adding these characters came from a desire to celebrate games we love and fellow eShop developers who have been supportive of Runbow.”
Runbow isn’t in the same genre as Super Smash Bros. but developer 13AM previously said they would like their game to be among other Wii U party games like Smash and Mario Kart.
That’s an ambitious statement indeed.
Both Mario Kart and Smash Bros. are highly popular Nintendo games, only time will tell if Runbow can be considered a success like these two games. Who knows, it might be the next big thing for Nintendo.
13AM is planning to release Runbow exclusively on Wii U sometime later this year.