In the last two months before January, Xbox One had finally managed to start a winning streak over PlayStation 4 but sadly that lead was short lived.
PS4 is back on top yet again according to the newly released January 2015 NPD sales figures.
Sony Computer Entertainment of America confirmed their number one spot while revealing that by January’s end a total of 18.5 million PlayStation 4 consoles have been sold:
PlayStation 4 was the top-selling console in January and remains the cumulative leader in the U.S. according to NPD data. Since launch in November 2013, 18.5 million PS4 units and 81.8 million software units have been sold through to consumers worldwide.
On the other hand, Mike Nichols, corporate VP of Xbox Marketing responded with claiming “record January sales for Xbox One and more game sales per console than any other platform.”
As far as game sales are concerned, Dying Light being the biggest release of the period outdid every other game by a fair margin. While comparatively older games still maintained higher ranks like GT5, NBA 2K15, Super Smash Bros and even Minecraft, the lack of big releases resulted in a wide spread of number of copies sold.
Here’s the list of top 10 best selling games for the month of January:
- Dying Light (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC)
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC)
- Grand Theft Auto V (Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3)
- Minecraft (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Xbox One, PlayStation 44)
- NBA 2K15 (Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC)
- Super Smash Bros. (Wii U, 3DS)
- Far Cry 4 (Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC)
- Madden NFL 15 (Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3)
- Destiny (Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3)
- FIFA 15 (Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii U, PlayStation Vita, 3DS)
What do you make of the January 2015 NPD sales results? Can Microsoft outsell PS4 in the next month?