The Sims 4 Developer is Working on an Unannounced ‘Unique, Emerging IP’
The developer behind The SIMS 4, Maxis’ Redwood Studio is currently looking to hire a Senior Designer for an unannounced ’emerging IP,’ EA Career Search has revealed.
The job opportunity has revealed that the Senior Designer will be responsible for the innovative design of new game systems in a ‘unique, emerging IP.’ Not only this but, the applicant will also define the game’s core mechanics which include player goals, in-game economies, technology trees, PC, mobile and tablet companion application integration.
The requirements section reveals some information on what this unannounced title might be. From what I could gather, it seems like we are looking at an upcoming free-to-play MMO with the inclusion of life simulation elements; something which is Maxis’ cup of tea.
Here’s a brief extract of what the job listing is about:
- The unique nature of this product requires prior experience in deeply social multiplayer games such as MMOs.
- Deep understanding of principles of game progression design, crafting trees, technology trees, character RPG-style levelling design and mathematical loot progression modelling (i.e. spreadsheet design skills needed)
- Ability to weave Free-to-Play game mechanics with monetization in simple, natural, respectful ways.
- Understanding of Maxis creativity and simulation games, including SimCity, The Sims, and Spore.
- Understanding playing and understanding other games in the creativity space, including Little Big Planet, Minecraft and its popular mods, Roblox, Disney Infinity, Project Spark, and other upcoming efforts.
It is also worth noting that Maxis is currently working on another unannounced project which is different from this as it is being developed in Emeryville.
We can only speculate as to what this ‘unique, emerging IP’ could be, until Electronic Arts issues out a statement.