Better late than never, Baldur’s Gate Enhanced Edition is now finally out for Android devices at a price of $9.99 or €8.99. You’ll need Android 4.0 or more recent builds to play this classic roleplaying game (RPG).
Originally released in late 1998, Baldur’s Gate is somewhat of a milestone in RPG country. Its choice-based conversations and expansive combat designs built on the Dungeons & Dragons rule set would eventually become an example in how the genre was made.
It features turn-based combat with an active element, which has players halt time. Heroes can form a party of different classes, such as a warrior or mage and so on. It’s the template for an RPG for good reason.
Baldur’s Gate was originally made by developer BioWare, which would use this design in many of its later games. It created the Infinity Engine especially for this release. It was later used for similar titles like Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment.
For the portable game, the legs of the company stretch to Beamdog, which includes several veteran BioWare developers.
Baldur’s Gate Enhanced Edition includes both the base game and the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion. It may cost a bit, but that also stands for anywhere between 60 and 100 hours of gameplay.
For some reason, however, the mobile release does come with in-app purchases. Here’s a list of premium content in Baldur’s Gate Enhanced Edition:
- Brothers Lost: Lend your aid to Rasaad yn Bashir, the Sun Soul monk, as he scours the Cloud Peaks in search of his lost brother.
- Neera and the Red Wizards: Save the wild mage Neera from the cruel machinations of Thay’s dreaded Red Wizards.
- Path of the Bloodied: Join the blackguard Dorn Il-Khan in taking revenge against those who betrayed him in Luskan.
- Gallery of Heroes: Reimagine your character with eleven never-before-seen character portraits from acclaimed Icewind Dale artist Jason Manley!
- New professionally recorded voice sets to choose from to further customize your character.
Alternatively, the game is available in full, without extra transaction on Steam for $19.99 or a lesser equal €18.99.