The Starbound beta has been released to a considerably large post-Early Access patch that brings forth a lot of changes to the combat, leveling and balance systems.
While the patch also adds stability to the game, it still is a bit broken but that’s expected considering it’s the game’s beta. Players are reporting that due to a bug, the game is offering higher level weapons at early stages, making it very easy for them to breeze through otherwise hard scenarios. The most hardest of planets are level 10, while players can get access to level 15 weapons that do a ton of damage in the very first few hours of play.
The massive changes brought in by the patch has also caused the developers to do a full character wipe, making everyone start from scratch. Unless they fix the balance systems, everyone will pretty much work back to their old levels in no time.
The full Starbound Beta Patch notes are below for you to browse through.
- HUGE balance patch, every item, creature, armor and weapon rebalanced. Leveling system entirely rewritten. Although the balance is early the new leveling system is much better than the old one and we can now improve balance over time.
- Added early implementation of creature taming (more features coming soon)
- Added new mining items
- Added new weapons
- Added new throwable items
- Added grappling hook
- Added new boss and new sector of the galaxy
- Added a stance system to weaponry, not currently used but will allow us to add secondary attacks to weaponry very soon.
- Tons of new sounds
- Guns more common in tier 3
- Underground detached/rare biomes more common
- Underground random encounters more common
- Underground chests more common
- Ore rebalance (probably way way too much ore at the moment, will be fixed later, enjoy it)
- Baby monsters
- New monster palettes
- Added pixel compressor for high cost banking (idea from Ncrpts)
- Disable using the beamaxe to light caves underground
- Added new hats
- Some monsters now graze on grass (can look ugly, needs finishing)
- Small bipeds now socialise with eachother
- All the monsters behave smarter and are less likely to get stuck
- You can no longer attack through blocks
- Fix the game on XP (hopefully)
- Tons more fixes and smaller additions