Fans of the Thief series surely can’t wait for February 25 for the game’s release, but since we will just have to, how about a closer look at some game features? A post on Eidos Montreal’s official site has revealed everything you may want to know about the user interface and extensive gameplay customization options the game will ship with.
Game Designer Alexandre Breault shed light on key elements of the UI after a lot of questions were asked regarding the same during the game’s previous Q & A session. The post begins with a classy one liner “it’s that time again… Stealing Time!”, and goes on to detail aspects ranging from display to difficulty mods.
One can obviously set the difficulty level according to their wishes but Thief allows you to make it more more fun with the custom difficulty levels. You can create your own difficulty levels by toggling any or all of the following mods:
Base Difficulty: Easy, Normal or Hard.
Classic Thief Mods
- Chapter Save Only: Manual saves and checkpoint auto-saves are disabled.
- No Focus: Use of Focus is completely disabled and no Focus Points are earned.
- Stealth Takedowns Only: You cannot perform combat Takedowns and Takedowns from above.
- No Reticle: No aiming reticle is displayed when drawing the bow.
Legendary Thief Mods
- Specialty Arrows Only: Only Blunt, Water, Fire and Rope Arrows are available.
- No Resources: Food (health) and poppy flowers (Focus) are not consumable.
- It Hurts Not: If you take any damage, the mission is failed.
- Expensive Tools: Cost of arrows, tools, food and poppies is greatly increased.
- Slowed Movement: Running and walking speeds are reduced.
Ultimate Thief Mods
- Iron Man: If you die or fail a mission, you lose your game and must restart from the beginning.
- No Upgrades: Non-critical upgrades are disabled.
- No Kills or Knockouts: If a human or animal is killed or stunned, the mission is failed.
- No Alerts: If a human or animal detects you, the mission is failed.
Talk about display, you get to customize a host of options the way you wish. You can turn either one of these options On or Off according to your preferred settings:
- Navigation prompts
- Interaction prompts
- Waypoint markers
- Threat icons
- Threat health meters
- Mini-map rotation
- Reticle feedback
- Journal updates
- Pick-up notifiers
- Light gem
- Object highlight
- Loot glint
- Lockpick helper
- Frame search helper
- Garrett narrated hints
- Health meter (on, off, or fade over time)
- Focus meter (on, off, or fade over time)
- Ammo counter (on, off, or fade over time)
Thief releases in North America on February 25, Australia on February 27 and finally in Europe on February 28.