First Planetside 2 OMFG Update is Live, Improves FPS by 30%
Sony had given a rather intriguing name to the series of updates that they have planned for Planetside 2; the OMFG which abbreviates Operation: Making Faster Game. Well, here is how they are doing it. The Phase One of OMFG has been released with a lengthy list of tweaks and additions to the game.
This Planetside 2 OMFG update is being regarded to have a significant effect on the game’s performance; Sony Online Entertainment is of the opinion that it will improve the frame rate by around 30 percent.
Areas touched by Phase One OMFG are interface, sound, player processing, physics, rendering code and a long list of technical areas. The patch notes read:
“Trust us, you probably want this. It will make your frame rate smoother and reduce spikes. Your FPS counter will show as lower overall, but that’s not a bad thing.”
Some of the general performance related updates are:
- Refactored game rendering to better utilize multiple CPU cores. The same has been done for UI rendering.
- Optimized the CPU cost of some purely aesthetic physics objects
- Added adaptive complexity levels for physics simulations based on current client performance
- Disabled redundant physics processing between remotely-simulated vehicles
- Improved simulations between complex compound shapes, primarily vehicles
- Sound emitter optimization
- Numerous optimizations have been done to remote character processing to reduce the cost of per-player processing.
- We found that players getting in and out of vehicles was causing some performance issues. This has been addressed and is working as expected, now.
- Audio asset clean-up
- Added a frame rate smoothing option. (This is on by default and trust us, you probably want this. It will make your frame rate smoother and reduce spikes. Your FPS counter will show as lower overall, but that’s not a bad thing.)
- Adjusted the default graphics settings. (If you push Reset to Default, it will set the graphics settings appropriate for your system.)
You can visit the official forums of Planetside 2 to delve deeper into the details of OMFG Phase One.