It’s time. The often discussed Minecraft 1.7 update is finally upon us. It was announced yesterday through a post on Mojang’s official website that the update chimed as “the update that changed the world” will be unleashed on Friday.
Previously the prerelease patch 1.7.1 was sent out to sort out some crashes and bugs, notably the game’s inability to start on Linux, the post reads that there will be “a list of cool things that may be heading your way on Friday, if the prerelease goes well.”
The last major update that the sandbox game had received was the acclaimed update 1.6 but that was four months ago and since then a lot has been said about what the next update would bring. Earlier revelations suggested new textures, biomes and terrain features. Also, a new map of the Minecraft world was expected to be on its way.
According to the official post here is what you can expect from the latest update:
New world generation!
- Double the amount of biomes, with new trees/flowers/blocks.
- New “Amplified” world option.
- Less ocean, more awesome.
- Two new types of wood.
- Stained glass! With both blocks and panes.
- Packed ice, red sand, podzol.
- Lots of new flowers, including double-tall versions of current plants.
- Portals can be bigger sizes!
- Added more type of fish.
- Redone the fishing mechanics. Can now catch junk and treasure too.
- Fishing rod enchantments!
- Put them in an item frame and hang them on your wall. They’re extra big!
- Lots of new colours for lots of blocks!
- Now with less lag!
Achievement & Statistics overhaul!
- Now both world (or server) specific.
- In multiplayer, it’s announced to everybody when you get an achievement.
- You can move your mouse over this in the chat to see what it was!
- Some new achievements and statistic types were added.
- Zoomable achievements screen!
- Servers can now put a 64×64 image called “server-icon.png” in their folder, that you will see on your server list.
- You can see who’s online before joining a server; move your mouse over the player count!
- Lots of hidden preparation for allowing name changes.
Resource pack changes!
- You can now have multiple selected.
- They can completely re-do your sounds, adding new ones or changing current ones.
- Servers can now recommend a resource pack for you to use.
Chat & command improvements!
- New commands to spawn mobs or blocks of any type.
- Command block minecart!
- Clickable links to achievements and items.
- Click on somebody’s name in the chat to message them!
Lots and lots of technical work!
- Completely rewrote how the network (multiplayer) works.
- Completely rewrote the sound manager.
- New graphics options.
- Basic shader support testing.
- Many bugs fixed
The complete details of the bugs that have been fixed can be viewed by clicking here.
Let us know how do you like the new Minecraft world, was there something else that you wanted out of it?