The folks over at the PlayStation Blog, specifically “The Barbarian King,” announced the latest update to God of War: Ascension, featuring a new 1v1 mode, “Bout of Honor.”
Bout of Honor comes with four new maps made specifically for the 1v1 mode:
- Canyons of Kirra
- Chamber of the Flame
- Landing at Delos
- Streets of Sparta
The official God of War site describes Bout of Honor as “two warriors [putting] their lives and reputations on the line to achieve the best of seven rounds.”
Also featured in the update is the new 4 player map, The Whirlpool of Alecto, which draws inspiration from the single player campaign. The map also features a “giant leviathan whose sole purpose is to unleash Alecto’s fury in the form of physical pain onto any unsuspecting warrior careless enough to venture into its domain.”
To this end there’s terrain that’s been elevated specifically for “knocking over, slamming and stunning your opponents.” Update 1.09 is free and its complete list of updates includes the aforementioned five new maps plus:
5 New Feats
- Perfection: Win round without taking damage
- Invincible: Win 3 rounds without taking damage
- Dominator: Win 3 rounds without losing a round
- Tide Turner: Win a round when you are 3 rounds behind
- Unwavering: Win 3 rounds when you are 3 rounds behind
Combat Balance Updates and Fixes
All / Misc Spears
- Air triangle move has had its range and timing slightly improved. It should now be more viable from a distance, and also air to ground.
- The spear delay square attack has had its ranged appropriately increased so it should be a more viable mix up option for a quick/go-to unblockable, especially in 1v1 play.
Blade of Poseidon
- Fixed a bug where the air version of the triangle special would occasionally play no effect but still hit opponents (occasionally recovery could also be unfairly cancelled.)
Blade of Zeus
- The start-up time of the L1 triangle in the air is now closer to its ground counterpart
Juggles, Hit Reactions / Misc
- The frames where players were allowed to cancel and recover from hit-stun during certain extended combos have been adjusted to allow players to escape as intended.
- This was also the existing functionality, however in certain occasions of lag or low performance, that window was extended which would allow both players to combo when they shouldn’t have, and for players to escape when they should be getting combo’d. This has been adjusted to be consistent across the board.
- A bug has also been fixed where players would appear to glow white / invulnerable, but they were not technically invulnerable/ in a recovery state yet. The visuals now match the functionality.
Infinite / 1 –hit Combos
- Several 1-hit combos have been adjusted to prevent “re-juggling” of opponents mid combo string. The hits themselves will stand land, however they will cause a reset-hit rather than a re-juggle. This only affects a handful of weapons, and specific combos.
Poseidon Hammer Stats
- Adjusted the stats slightly of the Poseidon armor. It was giving slightly too much physical resist.
Don’t forget to watch the trailer featuring all these changes.