Natural Selection 2 Crashes, Errors, Connection, Lag, Freezes and Fixes
How about a blend of FPS and RTS elements? Can’t happen? Well, if you think that way, then you might not have heard of Natural Selection 2. The game in core is about the battle between aliens and humans. You choose your side and after setting up the strategy, the battle begins. It’s the survival of the fittest.
It has just got released on PC and there are chances you may be facing some problems in running the game or even starting it. If that’s the case, refer to our list of workarounds to resolve these issues:
#1 Natural Selection 2 Crash Fixes/Black Screen
The game crashes every time you launch or you end up seeing the black screen like forever? Here are some workarounds you can try:
- Run dxsetup in drive\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\redist\directx\
- Delete the folder drive\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2\ns2\shaders
- Press the Windows key and R (Win+R) and type %APPDATA%\Natural Selection 2 then press enter.
- Delete all the files in this folder
- Verify the Integrity of the NS2 Game Cache
- You can also try deleting the local Steam files for NS2 and reinstall NS2.
- Disable any overlay applications that might interfere such as mumble and fraps etc.
These are the recommended fixes to solve the crash/black screen/connectivity problems.
#2 Natural Selection Crashes While Choosing Sides
Try out the fixes mentioned in #1.
#3 Natural Selection 2 – Can’t See Any Servers
Here is a workaround you can try to make it work:
- Copy the IP of the server you want to join from the nanogrid. Launch the game and then open its console. Write connect in it and then paste the IP address (connect) of the server. This can get you in the game successfully.
You can alternatively try the following workaround:
- Go to the settings menu (in steam) of the game and untick “Enable Steam Community In-game” option.
#4 Natural Selection – Some components of the map are missing
If you are using an AMD card, try setting the anti-aliasing to application controlled in the catalyst control center.
#5 Natural Selection 2 – Poor FPS Performance
If you are meeting the recommended system requirements or even running a low end PC, try disabling the Ambient Occlusion as its eats up a lot of resources. Turning off other options like Vsync and Anti-aliasing can also give a boost in performance.
#6 Natural Selection 2 – Can’t Join the Game
Refer to the fixes mentioned in #1 and #3.
#7 Natural Selection 2 – Connection Issues/Lag
Make sure that NS2 is not being block by your firewall or antivirus tool. Also see that you open the following ports (if you are behind a router that is) for better experience:
- TCP Ports = 27000 and 27100
- UDP Ports = 1200 and 27000-27100
#8 Natural Selection 2 Crashes After Preaching (During Loading)
You should do the following:
- Launch the game
- Now, go into the Training menu and select the Explore option
- Start up a game on one of the maps
- Now, exit the game you made and try joining any other live server.
#9 Natural Selection 2 – Flickering/Graphics Problem
If you are facing this issue, chances are that are that you are using an ATI card. Disabling Catalyst AI can fix the problem for you. Also try deleting the shaders folder in \steamapps\common\natural selection 2\ns2\ directory.