Halo 4 – Introducing the Flood Multiplayer Mode
No, this isn’t a flood for which we’ll have to build a massive ship with a pair of every living species on board – this particular flood is in the form of the new Flood mode in Halo 4.
Yes, Halo 4 will feature a successor to Infection, a hugely popular game-type that was a part of the multiplayer in Halo 3 and Reach.
The Flood mode is a round-based, 10 player, asymmetric multiplayer game type. At the start of each round, two players start off as the Flood – the infamous parasitic life form, and the remaining 8 players are the survivor.
There are three rounds for every game, and each round lasts 3:00 minutes. If a Flood player kills a Survivor, the Survivor is reborn as a Flood. The round finishes if all the Survivors are converted into Flood or if the Survivors manage to survive for the three minutes.
The Flood characters only have melee weapons, but benefit over the Survivors in-terms of agility, possessing superior speed and damage. The Survivors obviously have the edge of possessing weapons, but are slower and relatively more fragile.
The elements that make the Flood are exciting themselves; being a part of the parasitic secondary villain of the series is exciting in itself, and it’s because of the following:
- Floods have a special melee weapon called ‘The Claw’.
- There is a first-person screen effect that shows the ‘haunted view’ of a Flood.
- There is a unique character model for both first and third person.
- Floods move faster than normal characters, have different reactions to bullets, and also have special armor abilities.
In addition to these features, the Flood mode offers a multiple set of medals that can be earned by playing this particular game mode. Medal and achievement hunters will love to know about these:
- Flood Conversion – Convert a Spartan to a Flood
- Alpha Conversion – Convert a Spartan to a Flood as an Alpha
- Infector – Kill 2 Spartans in a row as a Flood without dying
- Carrier – Kill 3 Spartans in a row as a Flood without dying
- Juggernaut – Kill 4 Spartans in a row as a Flood without dying
- Gravemind – Kill ALL Spartans in a row as a Flood without dying
- Flood Kill – Kill a Flood
- Flood Kill Assist – Assist in killing a Flood
- Flood Hunter – Kill 4 Flood in a row as a Spartan without dying
- Flood Survivor – Kill 6 Flood in a row as a Spartan without dying
- Flood Exterminator – Kill 10 Flood in a row as a Spartan without dying
- Last Man Standing – Be the last surviving Spartan
- Final Conversion – Kill the last remaining Spartan
- Flood Victory – Contribute to the flood total conversion of all the Spartans
- Ancient One – Survive the entire round as a Flood and convert at least 1 Spartan
- Clever – Survive the entire round as a Spartan
You can read on further about the development of the Flood mode, get an idea about some of the maps, and also look into some more details on the Halo4Nation website.
Halo 4 arrives for the Xbox 360 on November 6 this year.