Apart from the Special Items and Abilities, Death also has a skill progression system leading to a lot of gameplay styles. In this guide, we will give you some useful info on Darksiders 2 Skill Trees and Builds.
Darksiders 2 Skills Tree and Builds
Each time you level up, a point is awarded, which can be used to upgrade skills from the options. Death’s skill trees have been divided into two categories; The Harbinger and The Necromancer.
You can choose to spend these points as you wish but since there won’t be plenty of these, you should not really waste them on random upgrades.
If somehow, you find that the upgrades, you did aren’t paying off well, then you need to see Vulgrim, who will offer you the respec token for a small amount which you can use to reset the trees.
Harbinger Skill Tree
The tree focuses on improving Death’s basic combat skills; Teleport Slash, Harvest and Ustoppable. Each of these skills have an individual sub-tress for further improvements.
Teleport Slash Sub-Tree
Teleport Slash is a useful ability in multiple ways. First, Death restores a small bit of his power on executing this attack. The attack is effective enough to take out normal corruption enemies in a single blow. The move can also be used to move away tactically in a situation where you are surrounded by enemies and outnumbered.
There a few upgrades that you can apply to improve this ability.
- Unending Fury: Since the teleport uses the Wrath meter, you won’t be able to use it too often. But if you buy this upgrade, you can make use of it several times.
- Death Blossom Rank: This is another recommended upgrade that increases the damage of the attack to a greater degree.
- Inescapable: You can slow enemies down with this upgrade since they will have a Frost effect on them once hit with the Teleport Slash.
- Immolation: Set your foes on fire by striking them with Teleport Slash and this
- Rage Of The Grave: You can recover health by taking it from the foes you hit.
Since the teleport uses the Wrath meter, you won’t be able to use it too often. But if you buy the Unending Fury Upgrade, you can make use of it several times. Death Blossom Rank is another recommended upgrade that increases the damage of the attack to a greater degree.
The skill will make Death enter the reaper form for a small duration in which Death executes a swirling scythes attack. The attack is good enough to do considerable amount of damage and even if someone has managed to escape the attack, the enemy will be pushed back that can give death a breathing space.
The upgrades in this tree can increase Death’s damage output or generate the Reaper energy.
- Reaping: This upgrade increases your chances of landing a critical hit.
- Trauma: Increases damage dealt through Harvest on enemies.
- Red Harvest: You’ll get Reaper energy by hitting foes with Harvest
The skill actually unleashes Death’s fury that will have no mercy on the enemies daring to attack. The strength and critical hit is increased multiple times which enables Death to land lethal blows.
- Call of the Grave: This is a recommended upgrade that will enable you to keep the fury last for longer duration.
- Inevitability: This upgrade increases your chances of landing a critical hit.
- Empowerment: Increases the damage dealt by critical strikes.
- Killing Blow: Death can get a second strike with each attack when Unstoppable is active.
- Frenzy: Increases Death’s speed while slowing down enemies
Harbinger Tree’s Final Skill
Reaper Storm is the final skill Death can learn after he has reached level 20. You remember Harvest skill, right? What if i say that this is almost the same thing but the effect can last for as long as 8 seconds? It’s incredible. Whenever you are surrounded by a group of enemies receiving more damage than anticipated, just activate Reaper Storm and just enjoy the annihilation.
While Harbinger skill tree renders Death with offensive skills, the Necrmances skill tree mainly focuses on strengthening the defenses and also let’s him summon minions for aid in the battle. This too has some sub-trees including Exhumer,Aegis Guard and Murder.
The skill allows Death to summon some aggressive creatures (Ghouls). These creatures can be helpful in battle by distracting enemy’s attention away from Death.
If you buy the following upgrades then their supportive role can be increased manifolds.
- Corpse Explosion: Ghouls explode on death.
- Max Out: Ghouls last longer.
- Undying: Summoned Ghouls have more health.
- Enervation: You get Wrath whenever your Ghouls deal damage.
- Death’s Allure: Enemies will stop attacking you and focus on your summoned Ghouls.
- Fiery Souls: Ghouls deal fire damage to foes.
- Corpse Explosion: If killed, your summoned ghouls will blow up and deal damage to surrounding foes.
Aegis Guard Sub-Tree
If you want defense to be strong, Aegis Guard is the skill you should be spending points on.
The following upgrades should help:
- Reflect: Deflects back a bit of damage at foes.
- Grounding: Does lightning damage to foes
- Enraged Guardian: Increases Death’s arcane Critical Chance.
- Death Guard: Death’s Aegis Guard is around for a longer duration and can be summoned much easier.
Murder is a descent diversion skill one can possess. Death will able to summon flocks of crows that will swarm the enemies forcing them loose their aligned formation. You can upgrade Murder for different benefits like restoring Death’s health, restoring his reaper energy or even freezing the enemies.
- Bless: Death’s crows will heal him and attack foes.
- Heralds Of Death: Death’s crows will give him Reaper energy and attack foes.
- Ice Crows: The summoned crows deal ice damage to foes
Frenzy – The Final Necromancer Skill
Death’s all Wrath meter will be consumed in one single deadly blow. You can consume the Wrath portion and execute the move once again. You can use this move to deal with the more resistant enemies who will otherwise, give you a hard time.
Since the skill upgrade points aren’t that abundant, you may want to know the best (generally) possible combinations from the two main skill trees. Checkout the following list of some of the useful combinations and their results.
Maximum Healing – Teleport Slash (maxed out) + Harvest (with Trauma) + Murder (with Bless)
You will be able to do damage and also earn some health.
Wrath of the Death – Teleport Slash (with Unending Fury) + Exhume (with Enervation) + Frenzy
You can be owner of infinite Wrath which can be useful specially when you are fond of using Teleport Slash.
Reaper Madness! – Harvest (with Red Harvest) + Aegis Guard (with Grave Defense and Enraged Guardian) + Murder (with Heralds of Death)
The combination will decimate even the strongest of the enemies without any fuss.
If you know any other combinations you found effective, don’t forget to share with us in the comments below!