Rumor: Final Fantasy XV Going the Open World Route
Here’s some of the things the magazine’s source had to say about Final Fantasy XV.
- It entered full production in January 2010, a month after FFXIII was released in Japan. Since then it has had a development team of just over 200 people.
- The director is the same person who directed FFVI, FFIX and FFXII, Hiroyuki Ito.
- The co-director led a small part of the development team to make Tactics Ogre for the PSP in parallel with FFXV. He’s currently multi-tasking as lead UI designer of FFXIV 2.0 and co-director of FFXV.
- The game design and battle system will be a major evolution of FFXII.
- The game will be open world and have sprawling, crowd-filled cities on par with Assassin’s Creed.
- The battle system now allows you to target different parts of an enemy’s body like in Vagrant Story.
- Yoichi Wada (president of Square Enix) wants the game to have a world scale and volume of content that surpasses The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. He also wants the game to surpass FFVII in worldwide sales and critical reception.
- Will release on all major current gen platforms.
Now, keep in mind that this is still very much a rumor. So, take it with a grain of salt. Nonetheless, don’t be that surprised if Square Enix announces that FFXV is indeed going open world.