It seems rumors of Valve entering the hardware sector might be true after all — if their most recent job posting is to be believed, anyway.
The rumors, which started early this year, suggests that Valve might be developing some sort of “SteamBox” PC/console hybrid. It will, of course, run their Steam digital platform but other than that, no other details were made.
Now, the company is looking for hardware engineers and it explicitly implies that the person should “work with the hardware team to conceive, design, evaluate and produce new types of input, output and platform hardware.” It might just be me, but that really sounds like they’re making a physical device, no?
The full job description and requirements can be seen below.
For years, Valve has been all about writing software that provides great gameplay experiences. Now we’re developing hardware to enhance those experiences, and you can be a key part of making that happen.
Join our highly motivated team that’s doing hardware design, prototyping, testing, and production across a wide range of platforms. We’re not talking about me-too mice and gamepads here – help us invent whole new gaming experiences.
- Work with the hardware team to conceive, design, evaluate, and produce new types of input, output, and platform hardware
- Hands on prototyping experience
- Lab and measurement skills
- System level design experience
- Knowledge of embedded systems/microcontrollers
- Experience with high speed serial interfaces
- Experience with schematic entry
- Experience with circuit simulation
- Four years relevant experience
- Board layout (analog and high speed digital)
- Hardware Definition Languages (HDL) for FPGA and chip design
- Power supply management
- Thermal management
- Design for test
- Low frequency analog
- RF and antennas
- Signal integrity analysis
- ARM / X86 system design
- Manufacturing pilot runs
- Failure analysis
- FCC/CE/UL certification
While this could be nothing more than an experiment by Valve to develop new ways of controlling games, based on what the job states, it really seems like they’re developing a console or a games device.
We’ll report more regarding this situation as it develops.