First Official Details from Assassin’s Creed 3
We reported earlier that images for Assassin’s Creed III were leaked. Well, thanks to the latest issue of Game Informer, we now have official details regarding the game itself.
- New hero called Connor/Ratohnhake:ton (pronounced Ra-doon-ha-gay-doo). He has an English father and Native American mother.
- More details about the protagonist/scenarios: You will experience Conner’s childhood on the American frontier as he is raised by the Mohawk. The Mohawk eventually clash with white colonists who burn their village down, causing Connor to dedicate his life to confront tyranny and injustice.
- A new traversal approach that has players leaping and climbing trees and mountain cliffs.
- Uses a new version of the Anvil engine that can “depict thousands of troops engaged in bloody battle” along with highly detailed face close
- ups. They later imply that if they used version numbers, they would be like going from Anvil 1.0 -> Anvil 2.0 or something of that nature.
- Judging by the images, the faces really are quite good.
- Combat is focused on putting you on the offensive and based on speed/momentum.
- The main character has thousands of new and unique animations (no carry over from other titles) to support the new combat system.
- Character details:
- George Washington: Interacting with Washington is one of the core relationships of the game.
- Benjamin Franklin: He’s not a convenient inventor a la Da Vinci.
- Charles Lee: His role is a mystery.
- The game is set between the years 1753 – 1783 and is centered around the cities of Boston and New York.
- “It’s not just going to a historical building now; it’s going to a historical event.”
- Event examples: “You will see the great fire of New York. You will visit Valley Forge as a location that is currently occupied by Washington’s forces. You will visit these places in the moment that they were important, and hopefully, experience the reason why we know where they are today. That’s the goal.”
- Connor is in the heart of major battles, and they can now have a couple thousand guys on screen, whereas before it was capped at about 100.
- The overall story is still centered around the Assassins versus the Templars and Connor’s journey.
- Not all the Colonists will be cast as good people, and not all the British will be cast as evil oppressors. They’re trying to focus on how both the Assassins and Templars viewpoints exist in a gray morality as the Templars really believe they’re saving the world.
- The French and Native Americans will also feature in the game, as was probably really obvious.
- The modern day stuff relates to that location in New York at the end of Revelations.
- There will be all sorts of wilderness in the game referred to as the Frontier.
- The map of the Frontier is 1.5 times bigger than the entire map of Brotherhood.
- The Frontier is not empty like in Assassin’s Creed 1, but features a third of the game’s missions and gameplay content.
- You can hunt animals for resources, and how you kill them effects your reward. A one hit kill on a bear gets you a much more valuable pelt than stabbing it eight times.
- The wilderness traversal plays a big part in the gameplay in the Frontier, allowing you to use trees, cliffs, ledges, and more to set up kills and combat.
- Connor does have a hidden blade.
- The world changes as time passes, so a field where a battle happened in one year may just be a series of empty encampments a few months later.
- The entire world will change with seasons, so the cities and the wilderness will all exist in both Summer and Winter settings.
- In the winter, soldiers will move slowly and stumble about in the snow, and lakes and rivers will freeze over allowing you new terrain to work with. This gives Connor an extra advantage since he can still use the trees and wilderness pretty effectively during this time of year.
- There are all sorts of clubs and groups who want you to join and give you quests. These are separate from the mission system. These clubs will contact you based on what you do in the game. For example, hunting a lot will get you an invitation to the hunting society.
- There will be a goods based economy, a new property system, and more Desmond stuff.
- There’s going to be some new puzzle thing like the first person Tetris.
- There’s a new Animus database known as Animus 3.0.
- They’re not unveiling anything about the multiplayer yet.
To read the full list, which has every detail from the magazine, click here. One thing to note is that Assassin’s Creed 3 is supposedly have been in development since Assassin’s Creed 1 and it even has twice the production capacity and budget of Revelations.
Oh, and before you read the whole list, bear in mind that are spoilers. So read at your own risk.