SWTOR Specs and Roles Guide – DPS, Healer and Tank
Like in other MMO games, you can choose a specific role for your character depending upon the class you have selected in SWTOR. You can either choose to be a healer, a tank, a Melee DPS or a Ranged DPS.
These roles can make a big difference specially in group content like Flashpoints and Operations. If you are wondering that which class is suited for which role then following list can help you out:
Key: Class / Advanced Class (Skill Tree)
Tanks can absorb relatively more damage than other roles. Their primary task is to play as a defensive wall between the enemy and the allies.
- Bounty Hunter/Powertech (Shield Tech)
- Sith Warrior/Juggernaut (Immortal)
- Jedi Knight/Guardian (Defense)
- Trooper/Vanguard (Shield Specialist)
- Sith/Inquisitor Assassin (Darkness)
- Jedi Consular/Shadow (Kinectic Combat)
Their role is to attack and do maximum damage. They usually lack ranged attacks so they have got up close and personal to fight. Tanks and healers play the supportive role for them.
- Sith Inquisitor/Assassin (Deception)
- Sith Warrior/Marauder (Carnage)
- Sith Warrior/Marauder (Annihilation)
- Sith Warrior/Juggernaut (Vengeance)
- Jedi Knight/Sentinel (Combat)
- Jedi Knight/Sentinel (Watchman)
- Jedi Knight/Guardian (Vigilance)
- Jedi Consular/Shadow (Infiltration)
Healers’ task is to heal the fighting teammates. DPS should stay close to healers so that they can last longer in the battlefield and do more damage.
- Imperial Agent/Operative (Medic)
- Smuggler/Scoundrel (Sawbones)
- Trooper/Commando (Combat Medic)
- Bounty Hunter/Mercenary (Bodyguard)
- Sith Inquisitor/Sorcerer (Corruption)
- Jedi Consular/Sage (Seer)
The primary goal of a ranged DPS is to attack the enemy forces from distance. They master the art of ranged attacks and usually cast their spells standing outside the battle section. They can coördinate with healers to support the melee DPS.
- Sith Inquisitor/Sorcerer (Lightning)
- Jedi Consular/Sage (Telekinetics)
- Trooper/Commando (Gunnery)
- Trooper/Vanguard (Tactics)
- Bounty/Hunter Powertech (Advanced Prototype)
- Bounty/Hunter Mercenary (Arsenal)
- Smuggler/Gunslinger (Saboteur)
- Smuggler/Gunslinger (Sharpshooter)
- Smuggler/Scoundrel (Scrapper)
- Imperial/Agent Sniper (Marksmanship)
- Imperial/Agent Sniper (Engineering)
- Imperial/Agent Operative (Concealment)
Don’t forget to share your insight about these roles in the comments below!