In a news which may be slightly disturbing for people who have eagerly waiting for PSN services to resume this weekend, Sony has removed the Data Posted by Hackers and further delayed the PSN services restart quoted Reuters.
The said data included the names and partial addresses of 2,500 sweepstakes contestants that had been stolen by hackers and posted on a website.
Sony in an announcement today said that it had removed the data from the internet, and said it did not know when it could restart Playstation Network services. Which may be very concerning news considering millions of people are waiting for the services to resume.
Sony said that the details posted on the online website also included the three unconfirmed email addresses which they are investigating.
The data came from customers who entered a 2001 product sweepstakes contest. The list did not include information on credit cards, social security numbers or passwords.
“The website was out of date and inactive when discovered as part of the continued attacks on Sony,” Sony said, adding that the company took the website down shortly after finding out about the postings on Thursday.
Sony Chief Executive Officer Howard Stringer apologized on Friday to users of the firm’s PlayStation Network and other online services, breaking the silence of the company on the massive data breach.
Sony had previously announced they would be restoring services within the week but a spokeswoman said today that this would not be possible, and that no date had been fixed for when services would resume.
The PSN users are more concerned about this as time passes and that is evident from the comments posted on US Playstation Blog.
Hackers have still not being identified and infamous group of hackers Anonymous who have been claiming responsibilities of previous attacks have denied their involvement. Statement by Anonymous came after Sony claimed Anonymous was indirectly responsible for the attacks.
If Sony doesn’t know when the services will be resumed who does ?