GDC 2011 – Games Line Up and Show Details
Game Developers Conference 2011 is going to take place in San Francisco this week, while the shows indie section kicks off today, The Main Track begins on Wednesday, March 2, 2011 with Nintendo president Satoru Iwata’s keynote.
The first major show in the games calendar is likely to maintain a solid pace throughout the week. It looks like Sony or Microsoft are not going to have any type of presence, and Nintendo’s keynote is apparently to focus on the 3DS.
At the conference last year we saw Sony unveil Move in an off-site session, but the closest you’re going to get to that this time is an EA event showing off a good deal of the publisher’s product line-up for 2011
Here’s the breakdown of the conference:
Tuesday, March 1
- EA offsite event – This is the main event of the conference. EA will be showing :
- Battlefield 3
- Alice: Madness Returns
- Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
- Crysis 2Battlefield: Play4Free
- Shadows of the Damned
- Gatling Gears,
- The Fancy Pants Adventures and more.
The main reveal will be Battlefield 3, coverage of which is embargoed until Wednesday, March 2 at 6.00am PST (that’s 9.00am EST, 2.00pm GMT and 3.00pm CET), with other editorials being released in a staggered fashion over the following week.
Wednesday, March 2
- Iwata keynote (9.00am PST, 12.00pm EST, 5.00pm GMT, 6.00pm CET) – Nintendo’s president will deliver a speech entitled, “Video Games Turn 25: A Historical Perspective and Vision for the Future”. 3DS has already shipped to Japan last weekend and is heading for a western launch in March.
- NGP session (1.30pm PST, 4.30pm EST, 9.30pm GMT, 10.30pm CET) – According to the blurb, Sony is to “introduce a new handheld console,” and will “talk about the device’s broad range of input and connectivity options and how these create exciting new opportunities for game designers.” SCEA’s David Coombes will be doing the talk.
- Epic session (3.00pm PST, 6.00pm EST, 11.00pm GMT, 12.00am CET) – This is Gears of War 3 producer Rod Fergusson talking about delivering high quality games in a predictable manner to ensure they succeed.
- David Cage session – (4.30pm PST, 7.30pm EST, 12.30am GMT, 1.30am CET)– Watch this. Cage will talk about Heavy Rain development here, but has promised to “try to foresee how games could evolve to offer more subtlety and complexity in matter of narrative and emotion.”
- 11th Annual Game Developers Choice Awards and 13th Annual Independent Games Festival Awards (6.30pm PST, 9.30pm EST, 2.30am GMT, 3.30am CET) – We’ll bring you all the results as soon as they go live. If we were gambling men, we’d be backing BioWare and Notch.
Thursday, March 3
- Ubi Toronto’s Patrick Redding (9.00am PST, 12.00pm EST, 5.00pm GMT, 6.00pm CET) – Redding is giving a talk on creating co-op gameplay, using Splinter Cell Conviction as an example.
- Cliff Bleszinski session (1.30pm PST, 4.30pm EST, 9.30pm GMT, 10.30pm CET) – “Cliff Bleszinski has not done a public lecture in years and has a lot to say,” according to the session text, and promises that “attendees will be entertained, informed, and enlightened by the anecdotes and lessons that Bleszinski will expound over the course of 60 minutes.” The epic design head will be talking about PR, marketing, branding, story, context, camera placement, the state of the AAA games market now and in the future, social gaming and “general observations about the manner in which the gaming industry is run.”
- Thief 4 (4.30pm PST, 7.30pm EST, 12.30am GMT, 1.30am CET) – Eidos Montreal’s Paul Weir is giving a talk entitled, “Stealing Sound: The Application of Generative Music”. Square’s already confirmed that this will include a first look at Thief 4, But don’t expect a total reveal.
- Molyneux on Populous (4.30pm PST, 7.30pm EST, 12.30am GMT, 1.30am CET) – It’s Peter Molyneux giving a postmortem on Populous.
In addition, expect interviews and details on the following games throughout the week:
- Darkness II
- Prototype 2
- Guild Wars 2
- World of Warcraft
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution
- Mortal Kombat
- Batman: Arkham City
- Elements of War
- Tropico 4
- And other top secret stuff
Let us know what you think in comments below.