Five Reasons Blizzard’s Next MMO “Titan” is For Consoles
There has been talk for some time now that deep within the offices of Blizzard, there have been secret plans for a new MMO game that will go in entirely different direction.
There were rumors that Blizzard wants to add their massive MMO presence on the console. MMO titled “Titan” also showed up last month on a leaked four year release schedule for Blizzard. Now that this news has been confirmed officially by Blizzard. Frank Pearce from Blizzard spoke to Destructoid about the title.
The media is not supposed to know anything about Titan. It’s our next-gen MMO, and we’ve only started talking about it in a limited fashion because we wanted to leverage the fact that we’re working on something like that for the purpose of recruiting, getting some of the best talent in the industry on that project.
There are many reasons to think Blizzard’s secret MMO Project “Titan” will be a console MMO.
1. Blizzard’s statement that “Titan” won’t replace World of Warcraft and will go in entirely different direction. Speaking at Blizzcon president Mike Morhaime told:
We are working on a second MMO. We’re thinking of it as sort of a next-generation MMO. It’s not a sequel to World of Warcraft – we want to do something a bit different.
2. If Blizzard releases another MMO on PC, there will be some degree of cannibalism because a lot of people only play World of Warcraft because its one of, if not the most polished MMO out there.
3. From a business standpoint, they have to be thinking consoles. Console MMO market is wide open and up for anyone to grab.
4. How many Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 players have World of Warcraft account ? and how many new PC subscribers Blizzard can get if they release another PC MMO ? do the math.
5. Blizzard has actively been looking to release its games on console – Diablo III. As they most probably want to diversify their business by targeting a new segment of the market.
The leaked release schedule had Titan’s launch in 2013 release bracket. If you know the history of Blizzard’s late releases, you should plan on waiting for another 3 years.