How to Stream Media on your Xbox 360
If you want to play any media present in your PC on your TV screen with your home theater or other sound system attached to it. You can do that using your Xbox 360 as Windows gives you an option to stream media from your PC to your Xbox.
You just need Windows Media Center and Windows Media Player 10 or 11, with your computer and Xbox 360 connected through a Network. If you want to stream HD movies or videos on your 360 then you must have a good wireless network and preferably wired connection.
You can also use Zune’s software, Apple’s iTunes or AOL’s WinAmp but this guide is for Windows Media Center/ Windows Media Player.
You can follow the guide below to correctly setup your PC and Xbox 360 to stream media from PC on Xbox 360.
Step 1| Things You Should Know
First thing you need to check is whether your desired media is compatible with Xbox or not. Following is the list of supported media types.
- Windows Media Video (WMV) 7, WMV 8, and WMV 9, Maximum resolution of 1920×1080 (1080p).
- Windows Media Audio Standard or Windows Media Audio Pro audio.
- WMV content may be Windows Media DRM-protected.
- MPEG-1 with MPEG-1 layer I or II audio.
- MPEG-2, Maximum resolution of 1920×1080 (1080i).
- AC-3 or MPEG-1 layer I or II audio.
- WMV Image 1 (Photo Story 1 & 2), and WMV Image 2 (Photo Story 3).
- Windows Media Audio (WMA) 7 through WMA 9, WMA Standard content may be Windows Media DRM-protected.
- WMA Professional, WMA Professional content may be Windows Media DRM-protected.
- WMA Loss less, Windows Media DRM protected WMA Lossless is not supported.
Step 2| Enable Media Sharing
1. First you have to enable Media sharing in your Windows 7 to share your media library, for this:
Go to Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet > Home Group and Sharing Options > click Change advanced sharing settings
Under Media Streaming > click choose media streaming options > click Turn on Media Streaming (Administrator rights are required) > click OK.
2. Now in your Xbox 360 go to My Xbox channel, select Video, Music, or Picture Library.You must be seeing a list of PC’s connected with your Xbox, select the PC from which you are going to stream. Then Select an Item and Play it.
Step 3| Setting up your Xbox 360 as a Windows Media Center device
This step is optional and it authorizes your 360 to act as a Windows Media Center device which extends its power and lets you use larger storage of your PC. But a 360 can be authorized to only one PC at a time, so if you want to use multiple PC’s with your 360 then skip this step.
You have to get a media center key from your 360 which you can get by following these steps.
1. Turn ON your and Xbox and connect it to the Home network > go to My Xbox and select Windows Media Center.
2. Go through the instructions and obtain 8-digit Media Center Setup Key and Note it down.
3. Now in your windows launch Windows Media Center > Tasks > Add Extender > go through simple steps and type in the 8-digit key you got from the 360 and Finish the Setup.
4. Now on your Xbox 360 their will be a message of Confirmation about adding your 360 as extender. Windows Media Center should start on your 360 and you can see media library of your PC on your Xbox 360.
Play and Enjoy!!