Apple’s iPhone 4 Features, Gryscope and Full 3D Motion Gaming
Apple’s WWDC 2010 (San Francisco) repeated its history of launching new iPhone when “iPhone 4” was announced. Steve Jobs described it as the most precise and beautiful thing Apple ever developed.
The iPhone 4 will be available in UK on June 24 same day as it is being launched in America, France, Germany and Japan. However no specific pricing has been revealed by Apple yet.
Features of iPhone 4:
- Body is made from glass and stainless steel
- 5-Megapixels camera with LED Flash (can record and edit HD Videos)
- Screen resolution is four times the resolution of iPhone 3GS
- Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating on front and back
- Facetime video Calling (at wwdc steve demonstrated this feature by calling Jony Ive, Apples chief designer)
- iPhone 4 is operating on the new iOS 4
- iPhone 4 is using Apple’s own A4 which (according to Jobs) give superior speed and performance, besides an efficient battery consumption. This new processor allows users to run multiple applications and programs simultanously
- there is a built in Gyroscope which measures movements more precisely to help improve iPhone games
In a tweet today Jobs said “No one used computers until Macintosh. No one listened to MP3 players until iPod. No one made video calls until iPhone4.
What we are interested is the gaming side of iPhone 4, what does it add to gaming on iPhone, which is a niche yet to be dominated. Newly announced iPhone has 3-axis gryoscope to the motion sensing mix together with accelerometer and built-in GPS to provide 6-axis motion sensing gaming.
Steve Jobs on stage introduced to the all new methods of motion controlling iPhone games.
Features Gryscope will allow:
- 3-axis gyro
- Pitch, roll and yaw
- Rotation about gravity
- Gyro + accelerometer provide 6-axis motion sensing
- New CoreMotion APIs
Previously iPhone had been using an accelerometer for side to side and up and down movements which has worked fine so far, but with the addition of Gryscope iPhone 4 will support full 3D motion.
While explaining these new features of the iPhone 4 to the gaming side of things Jobs said:
“We’ve tied the gyro, accelerometer, and GPS for 6-axis motion sensing. It’s perfect for gaming – and one of the reasons it’s perfect is because it’s built into every iPhone 4, so you know it’s there.”