Learn how to free up System Memory in order to fix slow PCs. One of the most commonly found and annoying problems in computing is the issue of slow performance. Even a system as advanced as Windows 10 starts to slow down after a certain period of time. This is because your system’s RAM can become highly occupied with many applications and processes running simultaneously.
This high usage becomes unavoidable after a while. Many different performance issues can start slowing down your system, such as:
- Insufficient RAM installed
- Wear and tear of memory chips
- Power Surges causing equipment to shut down frequently
- Too many apps running at startup
The best solution is to start clearing out old memory in order to increase your RAM. There are a number of fixes you can start applying to achieve this:
1. Stop Unnecessary Programs/Processes Taking Up Ram
- Simply open “Task Manager” by pressing Ctrl + Alt+ Del and select it from there.
- Select “Processes” and locate the programs that are taking up the most memory.
- Click “End Task” on those programs.
This is the simplest and quickest method to CPU usage and speeds up performance.
2. Disable Programs From Launching at Start Up
Applications like Skype or TeamViewer tend to open up on your PC upon startup and that can slow down performance while also being severely annoying. You can disable them from launching upon startup by following these steps:
- Right click “Start” then select and enter “Control Panel”.
- Find and double-click “Administrative Tools”.
- Select “System Configuration”.
- Launch “Task Manager” from the “Startup” tab.
- Disable programs that are useless or annoying.
3. Restart Windows Explorer
- Launch “Task Manager” and select “Windows Explorer”.
- Right click it and select Restart.
4. Add RAM
The most obvious solution to increasing your PC’s RAM is to add more. First, check what kind of RAM your computer is using and then purchase a new one ranging from 4-16 GB.
5. Install a Software Tool
You can make use of professional RAM cleaning software such as Cleanmen. Just search online and you will find many suitable options that will help clean the memory and free up RAM.
This is all we have in our Free Up System Memory Guide. If you have anything else that you would like to add, be sure to let us know!