Valve’s announcement of Left for Dead 2 at E3 made thousands of fans angry.They all think that it is just a way of profit making and destroying the charm of the game.
They think that a sequel for a game like L4D in less than a year is not acceptable,which is right to some extent.Actually a group which now has more than 1000 members has been formed to protest against this move of Valve.Here are the most common demands by the protestants:
- Significant content for L4D1 was promised, and never delivered
- Valve put little faith in L4D1 since they almost certainly started working on L4D2 right after release
- The fact that L4D2 is nearly identical to L4D1 will decimate the community for both games
- The announced date is not nearly enough time to polish content or make significant gameplay changes
- The new character designs seem bland and unappealing so far
- L4D2 is too bright to fit in with L4D1’s visual aesthetic
- The fiddle-based horde music is extremely disliked, though the differently orchestrated music is otherwise welcome
- L4D2’s release will result in a drop in quality and frequency for L4D1 content, even compared to before
Now the first point is completely valid.If we look at other fps games like KZ2 and COD4 MW,they are continuously releasing the new content for the these games.Infinity Ward came back after two years for a new game.(I am excluding Cod WAW from it as it was not developed by Infinity Ward.) So not enough additional content for 40 awards winning game.
“Release of L4d2 will destroy the online community of both the games” is also valid if L4d2 would be similar as L4d1. From the current information we have about the game,it looks that L4d2 is more like an expansion pack than the sequel of the game.
Same for survivors (only the characters have been changed but the number is the same) and many things are similar. Moreover the characters designs are not as appealing theb they should be.
So people are ready to eat up valve and they have right to do so.I mean if your game is a hit and loved by the gamers, it does not mean that you start benefiting from them unfairly.You can visit the l4d forums for all the replies by Valve about the above mentioned points.