Horizon Zero Dawn Earns Guerilla Games Best Studio At Develop Awards
There is no doubt that Horizon Zero Dawn is a great game as is evident by the stellar reviews it received on launch. However, the recent Develop Awards held in Brighton showcased just how much everyone loved the game as developers Guerilla Games snagged some of the biggest awards during the event.
As expected, the competition against Horizon Zero Dawn was tough but Guerilla Games still managed to earn itself the Studio of the Year and the award for best Animation for its work on Horizon Zero Dawn.
Since the Develop Awards event focuses on game developers rather than games themselves, a lot of other big developers and publishers were in the list of winners including Creative Assembly, CD Projekt Red and Epic Games. Some of the winners including Horizon Zero Dawn’s Guerilla Games are given below:
- Publishing Hero — Curve Digital
- Independent Studio — Playground Games
- In-House Studio — Creative Assembly
- New Studio — Playtonic Games
- New Games IP — Overcooked (Ghost Town Games)
- Animation — Horizon Zero Dawn (Guerrilla Games)
- Visual Design — Batman Arkham VR (Rocksteady Games)
- Music Design — Total War Warhammer (Creative Assembly)
- Best Writing — The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt – Blood and Wine (CD Project Red)
- Design & Creativity Tool — YoYo Games
- Engine — Unreal Engine (Epic Games)
- Development Legends — Brenda Romero and John Romero
Despite creating Microsoft Exclusive games, Playground Games still remains an indie studio and because of their amazing Forza Horizon game franchise, the developers were able to score themselves the best Independent Studio award.
Known for his work, alongside wife Brenda, on games like Doom and Quake, it is no surprise that John Romero took home the award of Development Legends. His first person shooters are what pretty much shaped the current FPS genre especially when it comes to competitive shooters, even spawning reboots and remakes.